Damariscove and Thread of Life weekend

EEL

Wondering if there is interest in a weekend in Boothbay area in Sept or perhaps early Oct. after the crowds have left. Goal would be to visit Damariscove which is a nice paddle and an area of significant historical interest and wandering about the Thread of Life out to Little Thrumcap or perhaps going around Southport island.. Also a nice paddles, but different personalities. Not sure how to rate these paddles in terms of NSPN levels, but assuming settled conditions I guess they would qualify as L3 trips at a minimum and each would represent a definite step up from the typical L3 paddle in terms of overall seamanship

Here is some info on Damariscove.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damariscove_Island

Ed Lawson

Hi Ed,

I'm not sure if you saw the posting for the club trip in September to Bar Harbor?

Katherine:

I was thinking of later in Sept. and just checking if interest. I will be at Bar Harbor event.

Ed Lawson

Ed, the description of a Level 3 trip is: "Paddling may involve limited exposure to open ocean with access to sheltered water or landing near at hand (less than one mile)."

While the Thread Of Life can be an exciting location, I did both my 3* training and assessment through there, so that should be fine for Level 3. Southport Island should also be easy enough for Level 3. However, Damariscove Island is more than a mile off the cost, so that would have to be a Level 4 trip.

I personally am busy through the middle of October and won't be able to join you. Have fun!

Wondering if there is interest in a weekend in Boothbay area in Sept or perhaps early Oct.

Ed Lawson

Perhaps post the paddle in "trips" section and add to the calendar, with a detailed tentative itinerary? "Post it and they will come (maybe)" [Oct Squam trip filling fast].