Saturday - June 28 - Level 3- Circumnavigate Cranes? Harbor Islands?

alcoons

Level 3-

Looking for interest in a mellow, friendly, 10-12 mile paddle on Saturday. CAM. Paddle together. Moderate pace. High tide is around 1 PM so launches would probably be 9:30 or 10 AM?

Al

Al Coons

Cetus

Red/White

Edited by alcoons

Yes. Looks like a 10 AM launch at Pavillion Beach in Essex. Clockwise. Along Cranes Beach (ocean) first. Stop at inner end of Cranes for lunch. Through Essex Bay and Fox Creek.

Will formally post confirmation and information later this afternoon after USA beats (ties) Germany.

Al

Pavilion Beach (Ipswich) is at the Fox Creek end of the trip. We'd be leaving the beach after lunch just before high tide, and fighting current returning to Fox Creek. We'd want to get there while the creek's still fat enough for us and the powerboats on a summer Saturday.

Hi Al,

Jus so there's no confusion as to launch location, Pavillion Beach is in Ipswich. Conomo Pt in Essex has restricted parking; you can launch but you still have to park the car a few blocks up the road. The town has made more parking there available, but parking across from the launch can equal a hefty ticket.

Deb

I was thinking of Clammers' Beach on Conomo Pt. You can unload boats on the rocky beach at the picnic tables (keeping the ramp clear), then park up the road past the residents only sign. I've launched there on Fridays; don't know how busy it gets on the weekend.

Sorry about the confusion I caused. Let's CAM the decision.

1. Pavillion Beach is in Ipswich. Conomo Point is in Essex. Believe it or not, I have free parking for one car there (a friend).

2. High Tide is at 1 PM.

3. Route 1: 10.3 miles. See http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6351123 . Starting at Pavillion Beach, at 10 AM going clockwise. If we covered 9 miles in 3 hours including lunch that would put us right in the middle of Fox creek at slack high tide. That seems ambitious but we would have the incoming tide in Essex Bay. We could be later than 1 PM without problems since it is around slack tide. Would be better to launch at 9 or 9:30 AM but that eliminates Katherine perhaps.

4. Route 2: 10.8 miles. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6351138 Starting at Clammers' Beach on Conomo Pt at 10 AM going counter-clockwise Parking really is a problem at times. We fight the incoming tide across Essex Bay and through the exit to Ipswich Bay which can be significant at times. 7 miles to the middle of Fox Creek. Could eat lunch near the six mile mark on the old PT Boat Harbor site. Again, would an earlier launch be better?

Seems like Route 1 makes more sense to me assuming we get the timing right.

What is wrong with what I wrote above? Suggestions? I have done this route a couple of times, but I am sure someone has it perfectly figured out? Deb? Dave? All comments welcome.

Al

Hi Al,

Route 1 is perfect, Al.

And you are so right about parking at Conomo, especially if there's a nice turnout for NSPN along with others -- not just kayakers but boaters with trailers -- using the launch site.

Have fun on the trip. It's a favorite of ours.

Deb

• Katherine cannot launch before 10 AM. The rest of should be ready to launch at 9:45 so we really can leave at 10.
  • Deb wrote: "Max Flood (1.7K): 11 AM for the entrance to Plum Island Sound and includes the flow into the Parker and Ipswich Rivers. The current can be pushy but if you launch at 10 and aim away from the north end of Cranes and into deeper water you should be more than okay." So we will be dealing with significant current right after launch.
  • Please confirm that you will attend since we should have at least 3 paddlers for this trip to go:

Level: 3-

Launch: 10 Sharp

Route: Route 1: 10.3 miles. See http://www.gmap-pedo....com/?r=6351123 .

Type: CAM - we all work together

I am a 98% go, if I run into delays beforehand I will call. But I will have my boat loaded and lunch packed!

Al

Count me in.

One of my favorite routes.Especially before the greenheads and boaters are in season. Fox Creek even two hours after high tide is very passable.

Finding the entrance from Essex bay is the trick!

Pablo