hand sun protection -glove recommendations?

Phil Allen

Morning all,

Well it's early June and my hands already look like August. Anybody have a good recommendation for some comfortable robust kayaking gloves? I'd prefer bare hands and sunscreen, but with long days of constant immersion it just hasn't been sufficient.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Kate-

Thanks. My basic problem is that I hate most gloves, even in the winter. I've used hydroskin gloves a few years ago. Just might have to go get some cloth and a glue gun to see what works.

best

Phil

Hi Phil,

I have the same issues with my hands. I also hate wearing gloves, and it took years of dirty fingernails, the threat of tetanus, and the fear of losing the stone in my engagement ring before I wore gloves gardening, I wear pogies in winter or when the water is cold in the fall and spring.

Following Yves suggestion, I will pay a visit to either Orvis or First Light Anglers in Rowley to see what they might have in a lightweight, possibly SPF-treated glove.

Deb M

Edited by Deb M

For almost 20 years, I've been paddling almost exclusively with cycling gloves, mainly to prevent blisters when paddling fast. But they do prevent sunburn/tanning as well. I use the uncovered finger versions. I’m so used to gloves that I’m uncomfortable paddling without them. Ironically, I usually go pedaling without the cycling gloves.

Here’s just a random website I Googled.

When you've thoroughly researched all options, please get a pair for me, too. With my sun history and coloring, I'm a prime candidate for skin cancer if I am not more careful to protect...

I've ordered a pair of the the 12wt.com gloves. Will report back if I like them. As suggested by Yves, they're focused on fishing hot sunny places. Of course you realize I've condemned the summer to be cool and cloudy now.

best

Phil

I ordered a pair of Kokatat Hand Covers from The Kayak Academy in Seattle and they arrived Monday.

The good news: Kayak Academy is great to deal with.

The bad news: The hand covers, while nicely made even if manufactured in China, are somewhat awkward to put on and, presumably, use. Sadly, they're headed back to Seattle.

Yesterday I was in REI and picked up a pair of NRS Boater's Glove. They cover the back of the hand with some nice, comfy 50SPF material and are very flexible. They are women's, and be forewarned, NRS tends to run small, but I think guys could wear them in the larger sizes.

Only $19.95, too.

Here's a link to the website: http://www.nrs.com/product/25006.02/nrs-womens-boaters-gloves

Deb M

From my experience with women's gloves, I doubt a man could wear the larger sizes. I sometimes get men's gloves because even a woman's XL is too small for me.

YMMV.

In the summer I use a pair of Buff Sport Series Water Gloves. They are a half-finger length cloth glove.

In the winter, and year round on rougher white-water where I need to really protect my hands, I use Glacier Glove's Ice Bay model. Though they do not last as long as I would like, they are the most comfortable best fitting paddling glove I've found for winter use.