Solo Sea Kayak Trip to Northeastern Nova Scotia

kate

Posted Image

Click here to view the full trip report.

I had big plans, but Nova Scotia had different plans for me. My route northward was completely thwarted. A hurricane came and snatched away a day from me. Police got involved. It was a glorious vacation along one of the most beautiful coastlines I've ever seen. What more could I ask from a sea kayak trip?

The report is full of text, for those who want all the kayaking details, but you can just enjoy the photos too.

I hope each of you has the opportunity to paddle here someday! I hope I get to do so again too.

NK

Posted Image

I had big plans, but Nova Scotia had different plans for me.

Regardless, seemed a great trip. Someone once said the only journeys worth starting are those where arriving at the destination is uncertain.

Wonderful pictures and thank you for allowing us to participate and to learn by your discussions of what you observed and did and why.

Ed Lawson

Kate, thanks for the amazing trip report. I found my way back to your Newfoundland trip and loved reading it. We lived and paddled in Newfoundland for two years and we miss it terribly. There really is no place like it on earth. There is actually a very active paddling community but it is a VERY big island with very few people so they are hard to find. If you ever go back let us know. We are hoping to spend a month there next summer.

Graham

Kate, thanks for the amazing trip report. I found my way back to your Newfoundland trip and loved reading it. We lived and paddled in Newfoundland for two years and we miss it terribly. There really is no place like it on earth. There is actually a very active paddling community but it is a VERY big island with very few people so they are hard to find. If you ever go back let us know. We are hoping to spend a month there next summer.

Graham

Newfoundland stands apart from all other venues for me. I would love to go back... if only they didn't keep it so far away...

How fortunate you were to live there 2 years! and to go back for a month next summer!! Where did you live, and paddle?

I will definitely let you know if I manage to head there again.

k

Kate,

Thank you for sharing another solo kayak camping trip. This being my first kayaking season, I followed your suggestion to kayak camp in the islands off Stonington, ME. I just returned from a four day trip and thought of your experiences often. You are correct, it is a great place to kayak camp. If I may ask, where should I go next? I am bitten bad for kayak camping and the fall is a wonderful time to be on the water.

Warren

Kate,

Thank you for sharing another solo kayak camping trip. This being my first kayaking season, I followed your suggestion to kayak camp in the islands off Stonington, ME. I just returned from a four day trip and thought of your experiences often. You are correct, it is a great place to kayak camp. If I may ask, where should I go next? I am bitten bad for kayak camping and the fall is a wonderful time to be on the water.

Warren

That's great, Warren! I'm so glad you are enjoying the experience. Oh goodness, where next, you ask. Well, Maine has many bays! How about Muscongus? Or the downeast area - out of Jonesport or Machias? I don't know your skill level.... But I bet if you ask this question on the main discussion board, you'll get lots of suggestions.

k

Excellent report and beautiful photos also !!

Seems like you made some wise decisions, not getting storm bound or over extending yourself into greater dangers.

This year making a decision or two, wondering if I was backing off to early or easily. The toss up between "challenging" oneself or making foolish decisions can be a mighty fine line sometimes. Seems to be an unanswerable question...till the end of the trip when all the memories start filtering in...

Good thinking on your part.

Looked great !!

Seems like you made some wise decisions, not getting storm bound or over extending yourself into greater dangers.

This year making a decision or two, wondering if I was backing off to early or easily. The toss up between "challenging" oneself or making foolish decisions can be a mighty fine line sometimes. Seems to be an unanswerable question...till the end of the trip when all the memories start filtering in...

Good thinking on your part

thank you, you understand exactly what I was feeling. I decided to err on the side of having an anxiety-free trip. The challenges of doing everything alone were quite enough. (I did come home and go surfing the next day, which felt great!)

k

Kate,

My skills are growing, but there will always be a need for improvement. Thank you for the suggestion of Muscongus. I have received several great ideas from other NSPN paddlers regarding islands to camp on in Muscongus. Hearing your suggestion as well, makes it a definite for me. Muscongus will be my next kayak camping trip in Maine. Perhaps this will be my next solo trip. I remember our discussion regarding solo versus group trips and I have not yet discovered a perference. Perhaps in time.

Warren

Kate,

We lived in St. Johns and mainly paddled down the E. Coast which is spectacular. We did one trip to Gros Morne which was great but our favorite trip was Fortune Bay on the south coast.

I tried to PM you but it did not work. Not sure why.

Graham

Newfoundland stands apart from all other venues for me. I would love to go back... if only they didn't keep it so far away...

How fortunate you were to live there 2 years! and to go back for a month next summer!! Where did you live, and paddle?

I will definitely let you know if I manage to head there again.

k

As always, a wonderful trip report and photos .

The hardest part of journeying solo, I found, was managing the boat in and out of the water at the beginning and the end of each day. It's hard enough with two in these parts, with our big tides and slippery, rocky, seaweedy put -ins and takeouts. Even harder when managing alone, and sometimes tired . I'm curious just how you managed, since you evidently managed quite well.

As always, a wonderful trip report and photos .

The hardest part of journeying solo, I found, was managing the boat in and out of the water at the beginning and the end of each day.

Yes. Not so bad for solo day trips, but for extended camping safaris, can be a slog encouraging the fully-loaded (>100 lbs) 'yak up on to dry land. When possible, I try to find a stretch of seaweed for assistance, and on flatter landing sites scramble to collect smooth "tumbled" logs for rollers.

Thanks for sharing youtr trip Kate.

Kate,

We lived in St. Johns and mainly paddled down the E. Coast which is spectacular. We did one trip to Gros Morne which was great but our favorite trip was Fortune Bay on the south coast.

I tried to PM you but it did not work. Not sure why.

Graham

Is there any part of the coast that isn't spectacular??

Fortune Bay is one I was really thinking hard about for this year, but .... just too far away. I'd also love to paddle the northern peninsula, Quirpon. I don't think that's a solo trip.

you can reach me at my gmail address: clearskykate

Yes. Not so bad for solo day trips, but for extended camping safaris, can be a slog encouraging the fully-loaded (>100 lbs) 'yak up on to dry land. When possible, I try to find a stretch of seaweed for assistance, and on flatter landing sites scramble to collect smooth "tumbled" logs for rollers.

that is exactly what I did. Interestingly, this stretch of coast had very little in the way of driftwood or washed up wood (or any other debris, for that matter. cleanest shoreline I've ever seen). So when I couldn't find any I either used seaweed, or once was able to drag the boat across boggy reeds which were marvelously slippy-slidey, or as last resort I could lift first the stern and move it up the shore, pivoting on a single point on the bow; and then the bow, pivoting on the stern. This minimized the damage as compared to dragging the boat along its whole keel-line.

This issue definitely impacted where I chose to land, and put a lot of choices off-limits for me.

k

• 2 months later...

Kate, I just finished reading your trip report for the first time (and surely not the last), it was terrific! Thanks so much for sharing your experience and that special corner of the world. It's not the right time in my life for multi-day trips like that, but you've inspired me (and no doubt many others) to hold onto the idea until it can happen. I bet you'll enjoy pulling out the charts this winter over cups of hot tea, planning out the next exploration! -- Scott

• 1 month later...
  • 10 years later...

Hi Kate, my Son is planning a trip to 100 wild islands in late August, his first solo and we are concerned whether he has touched all the bases. he has a lot of Kayaking surfing is level 4 trainer certified..... just turned 22 and invincible.  Wondering if you would be willing to talk with him to advise?  Your story was spellbinding and wonderful descriptions of the conditions while navigating.  

Thank you for sharing your story!

I would certainly be willing to talk with him, although I wasn't in that area for my trip. As I understand it, 100 wild islands is more frequently visited than the more northern coastline. It sure sounds like he has the skills to handle conditions, as long as he makes reasonable decisions (I have no formal training whatsoever, and kayak surfing is a great teacher). My guess is that he will have a wonderful trip, and if I can be of any help, let me know. 

clear sky kate (make it all one word) at g mail dot com.  I will be out of contact (sea kayak trip) starting tomorrow through the following weekend, but will be checking in daily and will make an effort to respond to any message from him. He can also reach me all day today.