Lanes Cove to the tip of The Plum

Doug

Super shots here, Doug! Especially that one of Barry (I think) looking down from on high. Thanks for posting.

What model Olympus do you have?

Super shots here, Doug! Especially that one of Barry (I think) looking down from on high. Thanks for posting.

What model Olympus do you have?

1030SW... there are newer and better ones out now on my list for next spring.

9 of us ventured out of Lanes Cove Sunday 10/25.

Click on attachment for pics:

http://www.pixel8er.net/Other/Lanes-Cove-t...692485343_KC2nL

Doug

Nice pictures Doug as usual. There were at least four that went for a swim today and the shallow water made it difficult to roll up. Several assists and one really impressive cowboy reentry by Blaine in the surf zone. I wore my Kokatat Semi-Dry and after today think they named it correctly. The only other option is to have named it Semi-Wet. Heading out from Lanes the waves were 3' plenty of whitecaps and a steady NW wind of at least 15K. While the surf was not more than 2' to 3' there were several coming from more than one direction which I think explains why so many swam today. It was a beautiful day on the water with great company.

9 of us ventured out of Lanes Cove Sunday 10/25.

Click on attachment for pics:

http://www.pixel8er.net/Other/Lanes-Cove-t...692485343_KC2nL

Doug

Thanks for posting the pictures Doug and to Gene for initiating the trip. It was a challenging but fun trip. ~14 knots of wind from the NW in the morning, piling up the chop on the breakwater at Lanes (as Ernie predicted). The sight of the surge coming through the harbor entrance would definitely give pause, but all handled it well. The original plan was to head directly towards the Annisquam but it quickly became apparent that it would be easier to take it on the nose and head straight for Cranes by way of Green "1" and "AR" bell.

Playing in the clapotis off the end of that sandbar was a blast. As dramatic as surf but with out the same risk of capsize!

ipswichbayu.th.jpg

8.4 nautical miles (felt like 15!)

Barry.

Doug, nice pictures. Taking picures and stayng upright would seem pretty tricky itself.

Fri, trying out a new (to me) boat, I launched from Pavillion.

I could see the water was pretty rowdy so did Fox creek around Choate and over to the to the sand bar where I could see the water spray from quite a distance away.

I landed and checked it out to see if I would run it and make the loop around Cranes beach (I didn't) . I remember, at the sand bar, thinking that looks like fun if it were 30 degrees warmer.

Hardy souls you guys were Sunday to be out playing in it !

There were at least four that went for a swim today and the shallow water made it difficult to roll up.

Shallow water _shouldn't_ matter for rolling, though it can bring to point the value of an off-side roll. A roll in shallow water is done exactly the same as in deep water. From what I've seen, where most fail (and I used to) is picking up their head while pushing on the bottom with their hand or paddle. If you keep your head down and do it like its supposed to be done, its really no big deal. :surfing:

Cheers!

Ty

Shallow water _shouldn't_ matter for rolling, though it can bring to point the value of an off-side roll. A roll in shallow water is done exactly the same as in deep water. From what I've seen, where most fail (and I used to) is picking up their head while pushing on the bottom with their hand or paddle. If you keep your head down and do it like its supposed to be done, its really no big deal. :surfing:

Cheers!

Ty

I think your right Ty. Thanks for the tip. My neck is sore today which is usually a sign that I was picking my head upwards after capsizing. Actually I tried a couple of hand rolls which failed.

1-4 feet.... same as mixed up multi-directional wave heights.

Thanks. Might be instructive to watch EJ's Rolling DVD concerning shallow water and rolling.

[sWAG]

I would be fearful of planting paddle or hand in a dynamic water situation, but I am timid, etc.

If you can wet exit, I suspect you can do a normal roll assuming you can get paddle into set up position.

[/sWAG]

Ed Lawson

Thanks. Might be instructive to watch EJ's Rolling DVD concerning shallow water and rolling.

[sWAG]

I would be fearful of planting paddle or hand in a dynamic water situation, but I am timid, etc.

If you can wet exit, I suspect you can do a normal roll assuming you can get paddle into set up position.

[/sWAG]

Ed Lawson

On paper everything seems possible. In my case I capsized into water shallow enough so that my memory was being on my offside trying to scull up. When that failed (I don't scull well) I tried hand rolling and swinging my right hand over the deck as a counter weight. By that time the dynamic mature of the water helped pop my skirt and the filled cockpit made it all that harder to lever myself up. There was never any real opportunity for an on-side roll and I don't have an offside roll either. Finally two attempts to cowboy up dumped me as well and I accepted an assist from Glen while Ernie was yelling "stand up and walk it in." Somewhat humbling and embarrassing to say the least. I do not do well in clapotis. I have enough trouble being aware of one vector of waves not two. Ironically, outside of being trashed on several beach landings I have never capsized in off shore surf in deep water. The only time I actually capsized in deep water was being caught in the clapotis near Red Rock and then I rolled up easily.

There was never any real opportunity for an on-side roll

Surf is very directional and can tend to do that to you. Additionally, in shallow water it can be difficult to get the kayak to flip over that lump under it (your head). The entire situation can be very disorienting and having your head ground into the sand (or rock) can be very distracting. However, all that aside, technically it is no harder to roll in shallows. After one or two failures on my part, followed by contemplation to be better prepared next time, I've found it to not be a problem.

...even made me prepared to deal with rolling when I had Rick Crangle sitting on the my hull in his kayak while I had one knee falling out of the combing. ;-)

Cheers!

Ty

On paper everything seems possible..... There was never any real opportunity for an on-side roll and I don't have an offside roll either. Finally two attempts to cowboy up dumped me as well and I accepted an assist from Glen while Ernie was yelling "stand up and walk it in." Somewhat humbling and embarrassing to say the least...

the "stand up" routine.

A year or two ago up in Quebec I was taking a young friend paddling for the 1st time. Younger larger and stronger than I am. English is not his 1st language so everything has to be proccesed in his head for an extra second or two to convert what I'm saying.

I decide I should teach him the difference between leaning and doing a J edge with the kayak.

I'm not explaining it well and as I am talking to him he is literally hanging on my every word...and he leans ...and leans some more..more... more... till...splash he falls over. (thankfully I had told him about pulling the grap loop)

Up he comes swimming and splashing about with the "I don't know what to do" look on his face.

"Try standing up" was my advice. He runs it through his head and says "Oh yes" stands up and walks the boat to shore.

So what could have been an awkward moment turns out to be one of the best memories...it always brings a smile whenever the story is told.

...though to this day I don't think he knows what the heck I was talking about the day he listened so hard it made him fall over...

Just in case anybody is looking to pass their 4* or 5* the definition of Clapotis may show up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clapotis

Two waves hitting each other would fit under "confused sea" but Clapotis would be an incorrect answer. Clapotis is a wave bouncing off a sea wall, shear rock or similar.

-Jason

Just in case anybody is looking to pass their 4* or 5* the definition of Clapotis may show up.

I may be wrong, but I believe Clapotis is an explosive vertical uplift "wave" formed when the wave reflected off a cliff encounters an incoming wave. If you have seen a big one close up, you don't forget. BTW, wasn't someone tossed by one of these awhile back and their Avocet broken?

I'm not one who plays in this stuff much, but isn't the moving uplifted wave formed when two waves, especially breaking waves, collide from different directions called a "zipper"?

Ed Lawson

A BCU no star who still thinks it worthwhile to know this stuff.

I may be wrong, but I believe Clapotis is an explosive vertical uplift "wave" formed when the wave reflected off a cliff encounters an incoming wave. If you have seen a big one close up, you don't forget. BTW, wasn't someone tossed by one of these awhile back and their Avocet broken?

I'm not one who plays in this stuff much, but isn't the moving uplifted wave formed when two waves, especially breaking waves, collide from different directions called a "zipper"?

Ed Lawson

A BCU no star who still thinks it worthwhile to know this stuff.

All I can say is I have had a lot of fun when Brad first showed me Clapotis for the 1st time at the sea wall near kings beach.

I am surprised that my boat didn't crack in two with some of the landings, I guess the boat was new and strong back then. I think that one needs to get a LOT of air to break an Avocet.

Zipper is a term that I have seen used but I think that the official term is confused sea.

-Jason

Having seen the GPS plot I would question the "Plum" location.....

Yeah... looks like the group only went as far as the entrance of Essex Bay. I seem to recall and other instance of mis-identification of major landmarks this past year... ;)

Tyson, I believe you are doing something wrong:

<Additionally, in shallow water it can be difficult to get the kayak to flip over that lump under it (your head)>

Your head should not <be> under the boat, should it? Whether you choose to roll from the forward position or the laid-back one, your head should surely be tucked upwards to the surface of the water, as far as possible, hence <alongside> the boat...(surely?)

Am I perhaps misconstruing something here?

Yeah... looks like the group only went as far as the entrance of Essex Bay. I seem to recall and other instance of mis-identification of major landmarks this past year... ;)

No, no, no! Doug is from up North. Not been to these parts often! the original plan was to paddle up to the tip of Plum after sampling Essex Bay, however we changed plans and decided to play in the "confused water" (thank you Jason) off Crane's. Please cut our visitor from the North some slack!

Zipper is a term that I have seen used but I think that the official term is confused sea.

"Zipper" would definitely describe it well; basically the waves were wrapping around the sandbar that had emerged and colliding on the other side. It was a lot of fun, at one point about 8 of the 9 of us were in the one section.

Barry.