Asking for camping advice

I'm asking for camping advice ahead of the Jewell trip, as I've never done kayak camping.   Gary has already posted a video about equipment and packing and I already got some specific equipment advice from Prudence and Dana.  But I'm going to have a lot more questions as I organize and prepare.  Today's questions:

1.  What do you use for camp shoes that are light, warm, and waterproof?

2.  How do you manage the wet gear (wet dry suit,  and especially wet from perspiration under layers) in camp overnight?  Is it typical to set up a group clothes line?

3.  Is it valuable to have a stove with adjustable flame, or do you just get something that will boil water as fast as possible?  Specific recommendations?

1. Not light, but warm. waterproof, and suitable for hiking around islands:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JLRZYT2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

1162148348_Screenshot2023-04-30at7_29_50PM.thumb.png.d6a149ac97c356e6baba28699fdb6a5d.png

2. Usually personal or share with 1 other clothesline, but don't expect too much drying overnight, as nites/mornings are damp.

3. Not a big fan of cooking, so won't comment, except to consider asking if you could share (barter?) a stove(s) with other(s)  in the group, to find out what you like?

I like Amojis for waterproof clogs. I've been warm enough with a pair of sandal/slippers & wool socks and they are easy to get in and out of. Cheaper than Crocs too.  If its wet or you are planning to do much hiking you might pick a different style there are some new options since I bought mine.

https://amoji.com

I bring a line to hang gear & clothes. There's usually more room than I need. Happy to share.

I have a Jetboil Mini Mo with adjustable flame. If you do any cooking besides boiling water you'll want to turn it down. I also have the french press accessory which I don't recommend.  There are lots of other stoves out there. I'm sure others will have many good recommendations.

Edited by dsigall

1,  Usually crocs with old socks.

2, Often I stuff my dry suit in my boat overnight. It warms up quick enough when worn. I might lay it over my tent but occasionally will set a line.

3, Pocket rocket butane and I love it. Very small, light and adjustable. I mostly boil water.  You could make or buy an alcohol stove before the trip for very little effort.

Always have dry back up (nighttime) clothes. Having an Ikea bag for each hatch is nice.

Fred, the Jewell trip is an EXCELLENT opportunity to see and experience what many other people have for gear and how to use them. Don’t feel pressured to “have everything”, but see what you can get away with for the weekend. Just ask around about Cathy and my first time out there!

1) crocs or equivalent (something with sticky treads for walking on rocks) with waterproof socks (not really waterproof but warm even if wet inside). Add foot powder to socks before the trip to manage odor later.

2) I set a line or spread on a sunny rock during daylight, then bring into tent vestibule to keep dew off. Can wipe inside with absorbent towel (sham-wow type, handy to have along for many uses) to help dry it out.

3) Everyone who has ever camped with me or read my trip reports will wince because I am evangelical about alcohol stoves such as trangia, REI solo, or homemade cat stoves (with circle of hardware cloth to support the pot). Here I am doing it again, even though I'm pretty sure I've never converted anyone. You can boil or simmer, depending on how you set the cover, and it really works. Reusable containers for the denatured alcohol fuel are ecologically sound, you can see how much fuel you have left, and fuel is readily available at any hardware store anywhere. Absolutely silent burning so you won't wake late-sleeping neighbors to get that first cup of warm beverage. Has no breakable parts that could fail at inopportune times. Teeny tiny when packed up.  Extremely cheap - you can even make your own. I made my first one (which is still functional although a little beat up) for the price of 2 cat food cans. Okay, done evangelizing. Ignore my recommendation at your own peril!

Anything left outside will be covered in a heavy sea dew. Best to try to get dry suit interior as dry as possible before sunset and then stow under cover. I remember the first time I saw Peter use a jet boil.... a miracle if you need that cup of joe asap in the morning. Also don't forget the campfire for cooking hot dogs, corn, etc that do well in foil. Thank you Gary for the shoe specifics; always wondered what those were. Life is also more pleasant with Luci lights.

I was going to make stove suggestions, but discovered those great @$20 stoves seem to have disappeared and the @$75 plus systems predominate.  Sad.  My $.02 is the type of stove you may find suited to you will depend upon whether you are someone who simply adds boiling water to pouches or you do more elaborate cooking.  Stoves designed for the mountaineering and to some extent backpacking market are primarily designed to melt snow and boil water as fast as possible with simmering being an afterthought.  Stoves with a larger, multi hole burner tend to be better for simmering and cooking.

Rob made a great point.  Don't worry about equipment at first.  If you need something specific, but are unsure what might work best for you, then borrow. Or buy something serviceable, but low cost.  You can get fully equipped with serviceable stuff for low cost at Walmart.  I know, but you can. After all, you don't need some high end expedition tent , stove, or sleeping bag to spend a couple of nights on Jewell.  Especially since it will take awhile to know what gear you like just as it takes awhile to know what kayak traits you like.

As for being prepared, I suggest the following. Wait for a good rainy day/night and put up the tent.  Does it leak, does it handle the wind?  Modify as needed.  Try out the food you are thinking of taking at home to be sure you like it and easy to make with the tools you will have.  Make a list of all the stuff you are going to bring.  Then assemble all the stuff, check each item, put it into an Ikea bag and check it off the list.  Then you take those Ikea bags with all the stuff and see if it all fits in the kayak.  Then check if the weight of the stuff behind the seat is somewhat heavier than the stuff in front of the seat.  The heaviest stuff such as water and adult beverages of choice should be closest to the seat. 

Finally, as Rob said use the Jewell trip as an educational experience.  I'm sure your fellow paddlers/campers will be happy to show and tell why they use the gear they do and, more importantly, how they use the gear they have.  Don't be surprised if A says X is great and Y is junk while B says Y is great and X is junk.  Each can be right based on what they do and how they do it.  The trick is finding out if you are A, B, or C.  After the trip review the list of stuff and add what you wished you had brought and delete what you now believe was needless so you have a better list for the next trip.  Does not hurt to keep a trip log so you can review how things worked after the trip as well.

Ed Lawson

I prefer a stove that simmers well (some do, some don't - read reviews). I also prefer a stove that uses a remote canister so that a windscreen can be used around the stove. Using a windscreen around a stove that sits on top of a canister is dangerous. The MSR WindPro II All-Condition Camping and Backpacking Stove is on sale at Amazon for $97.99. It looks like a great stove, can be used in cold weather, and the reviews say it simmers well. A wider flame base it good, too, so all the heat isn't directed at a small spot in the middle of your pot. If you look at that stove, you'll see that the tube that carries the gas passes over the flame. That will insure that your fuel vaporizes if your canister is inverted. There are lots of good features in that stove. Of course, if you want to wait and see what everyone else has, Jewell is the place to do that!  There are other ways to go such as alcohol or liquid fuel stoves. I find the canister stoves to be convenient, affordable and easy to operate.  If it is going to be cold, I put my isobutane canister in my sleeping bag overnight.

In my next life I'll cook up delicious camping meals such as those I've seen and envied others making on many a camping trip or expedition.  Alas, I am still in this life and so sticking with pouring boiling water into Good to Go meals is what I do.  So…Jet Boil all the way!