Hemming a spray skirt?

JanetL

For 2 years I've been unable to find a short-tunnel sprayskirt to fit my sea kayak, and it seems supplies are still pretty tight.  I want a short-tunnel version (6 inch tunnel - like the women's specifics Seals Athena / IR J-Lo / custom Seals) because my torso is quite short proportionate to the rest of me and a standard neoprene tube is uncomfortable.  I've been using a WW skirt that fits me great but the boat not so great, or an adjustable waist skirt that fits the boat well but lets a lot of water in the top. 

Was curious if anyone had any experience with buying a standard tube sprayskirt and having it hemmed. I would probably bring it to my local dry cleaners. Anyone tried this before? 

Seals will definitely make you one custom, and you get to add color too if you want. The downside is they're probably at least a three month wait. I have a 6" tunnel from them and I prefer it.

What if you fold it and hem it with contact cement or aqua seal? Clamp between some boards and do a section at a time.

I have tightened up a tunnel by overlapping and glueing with contact cement and it was fine.

I also prefer a 6" tunnel height, and this has been available with Seals Sprayskirts as a custom order. Last year, at this time, I needed a new spray skirt and was informed that Seals was not taking any custom orders, at that time, due to production backlogs. I'm hoping that is not the case this year, however I have not checked yet. As Jim mentioned above, if you can get one there could be a long wait.

So, as promised I called United Divers in Somerville.  They weren't particularly optimistic on the phone but did say that if someone came in with their skirt, they would have the tech look at it and give a more definitive answer.

2 hours ago, David M said:

So, as promised I called United Divers in Somerville.  They weren't particularly optimistic on the phone but did say that if someone came in with their skirt, they would have the tech look at it and give a more definitive answer.

My spray skirts are all fine, but since I live not far from there I'd volunteer to bring in one of the long tunnel ones folks are wanting altered to have the tech take a look at it…. I wouldn't let them do the work, but would just gather info.