Surfski Workshop

Jim Snyder

Matt Drayer has agreed to be a facilitator for a surfski workshop this summer. It would be held somewhere with calm water and good parking, maybe Riverhead. The first step is to assess how much interest there is so we can determine whether we need an additional source of boats. Please post here if you would be interested in joining, whether you're available weekdays, and if you have surfskis to bring and share. 

A new type of boat to fall out of? I'm definitely interested! Weekdays would probably work best, preferably with travel outside of rush hour. I don't have anything useful to contribute (surfski-wise, or otherwise, I'm told).

I'm in the market for an endurance-focused (not stiff/sprint) small-mid or mid wing paddle, if anyone's selling.

4 hours ago, Dan Foster said:

I'm in the market for an endurance-focused (not stiff/sprint) small-mid or mid wing paddle, if anyone's selling.

I haven't tried these wing paddles, but for $189 + free shipping I'm like wow:  https://www.amazon.com/CISI-SPORT-Performance-Lightweight-215-225cm/dp/B0776BF67S/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=CISI%2BSport&qid=1623350899&sr=8-2&th=1

I believe they are off-brand Braca paddles, possibly the IV or XI model.  I contacted the seller to see if he's getting more after his current inventory runs out and he said he's not.

EDIT: I have an Epic V8 G1 to lend for the workshop, as well as an Epic wing paddle.  I also have a V12 available, but learning on a V12 is basically just a swimming lesson ;)  I will also bring the Double which will be fun.

Matt

Edited by mattdrayer

I would love to participate! I have an Epic 18x which I would like to get better at paddling, not really a surf ski but close enough for the likes of me.

Wed evening  thru Sunday is generally best for me. I will be available until July 7, and after 11th,  then going away again from July 21 to 25

3 hours ago, george record said:

Would a sit on top Eddyline Carribean kayak be halfway suitable?  I'm such a novice

I think it would be best to use an actual surfski versus the Eddyline -- the Caribbean is designed for fishing and so it's super-stable, but I think it would prevent you from really getting the feel of the ski's length, pedal/rudder system, and the nature of the forward stroke.  Based on what I'm reading in this thread and my side-conversation with Jim Snyder, as well as a few friends of mine who have said they're interested in helping, it seems like we'll be able to pull together enough skis for everyone to use.

Matt

Edited by mattdrayer

Sold my ski years ago and would love to own an intermediate ski ... No more expert skis for me.... I have a mid wing and would be up for this if I don't have a conflict.

Thank you for offering this workshop. I have a Think Jet purchased in Spring 2021 from Wesley E. Paddled it mostly on flat water. Have an antique Epic paddle (2003) and new Braca paddle. Definitely interested in participating in this workshop . Any day/time usually works (except during rush hour) if no other conflict.

Les

Workshop is tentatively scheduled for July 3 from Fisherman's Beach in Swampscott. 

https://goo.gl/maps/bz6h7y2X1G89vWjC8

We will meet at 9am. Bring surfskis if you have them or kayaks for when you're not in a ski. 

Attendance limited to 10.

Signup is here:

https://forms.gle/gsNC1Q8bWC4XNjoY8

It's my first time using this signup so glitch alert.

Oh, the joys of having to work at weekends!  (Sh*t, sh*t, sh*t!!)

What about a second episode or installment, then, Matt?  (Pretty please?)  Oh, dear...

Edited by Pintail

I'm overjoyed by the amount of enthusiasm!  We will definitely hold at least one more surfski workshop at some point this summer.  And, as a reminder, there is a surfski get together every Tuesday evening at 6:30pm at Lynch Park in Beverly (55 Ober Street) all summer long.  We call it a race -- but you don't have to race.  You can go for a paddle, hang out, try out some of our skis when we get back to the beach, and talk skis in the parking lot afterward.  (Also FYI that I will not be there tomorrow night).

Matt

3 hours ago, Jim Snyder said:

Workshop is tentatively scheduled for July 3 from Fisherman's Beach in Swampscott. 

https://goo.gl/maps/bz6h7y2X1G89vWjC8

We will meet at 9am. Bring surfskis if you have them or kayaks for when you're not in a ski. 

Attendance limited to 10.

Signup is here:

https://forms.gle/gsNC1Q8bWC4XNjoY8

It's my first time using this signup so glitch alert.

Let me answer some questions here that were posed to me by pm:

• This is primarily an "intro to" workshop. It's presumed that you have at east some seakayaking experience but no surfskiing prior experience needed.
  • There will be adequate surfskis to loan. You might want to bring a kayak for when you're not in a ski and to maybe paddle after. I expect I will. I've volunteered to hook up empty kayaks on the water if we're changing boats around.
  • Bring your own water and maybe snacks, and a pfd. Matt paddles barefoot and this works fine but you could bring very minimal watershoes.

Agreed that this will be an introductory workshop with the expectation that you have some sea kayaking experience, although you certainly do not have to be a renowned Arctic explorer or Olympic K-1 sprinter. 

As a general agenda we can plan on the following:

• Part 1 (Dryland): Orientation, Concepts/Theory, Technique, Training
  • Part 2 (Shallow Water):  Stroke/Rotation, Boat Mounting/Remounting, Getting Going
  • Part 3 (Deep Water): Form, Stability, Stroke, Cadence, Glide, Speed, Hollering with Delight

Jim and I spent about two hours going through the above with just the two of us -- for a group of 10 I think we should assume three hours for the session.

For those of you who have your own surfskis, please also bring a leg or waist leash if you have one, in addition to your PFD.  I have an extra leg leash and also a waist leash that I will bring for people to see/try.  A shorter surfboard leash can suffice in a pinch, although they can be bulky.  Also if your skis require any sort of tools for setting the footplate/leg length, etc., please bring those as well.

Happy to answer any/all additional questions you might have.

Matt