Isles of Shoals, Fall 2021

Jim Snyder

49 minutes ago, Jim Snyder said:

Thanks for the suggestion, and this might work better for some people but I'm sticking with our plan. We'd be at the mercy of their schedule unless they booked a trip specifically for us. We'd be on a guided tour, likely with some rec boats along. Also the trip from Newburyport is twice as long and costs $185. I plan to keep our cost well under $50.

The barbeque does sound good though. 

I think this crowd would not do well on a guided tour!  Herding independent cats never goes well!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Yesterday was the trial run for the IOS trip to occur later this summer. Jeff Charrette, Prudence Baxter and I awoke early to meet Jack Farrell at the Utopia in the Picataqua River at 6:30. By seven we were motoring towards Wood Island against the current. Forecast: West winds moving towards north at 10 kt, Seas 2-3'. It looked like a beautiful day!IMG_2687.thumb.jpg.68c3c571acd60f1956641a4239e32299.jpg

Approaching Star Island:

IMG_2686.thumb.jpg.5df236242180a801ccce9c6e5d79b991.jpg

We got organized and headed out through the wide gut between Smuttynose and Appledore. The outside of Appledore was spectacular but while the medium swell made mostly for sightseeing, we were able to get in close from time to time.

IMG_2693.thumb.jpg.ddf81757273bc341e3bdb0363dc4803c.jpg,

We continued on to Duck Island, which had many seals in the water monitoring our progress. Then back on the inside of Appledore for a lunch on Smuttynose. 

IMG_2694.thumb.jpg.9f58af1f9d4af96e547382db0261b465.jpg

Prudence was particularly smitten with the green lagoon off Smuttynose. Said it was her favorite place ever and most of you know where she's been.

IMG_2696.thumb.jpg.4c50cfa1ce1336876b96fb4b270f18f3.jpg

We agreed that the trial run was a great success and that the main challenge was to figure out how to fit enough boats on the Utopia.

chart.jpg.93df38ce42669b6648786591ea8dbdc0.jpg

Many thanks to Jack at https://www.seacoastmaritimecharters.com/ and https://starisland.org/.

For those of you who indicated an interest in this trip, we're going to be looking for an opportunity in July. Because of the challenge of combining favorable conditions with availability of transport there will likely be only a week's notice, maybe less. We'll post here then it will be first come first serve. 

On 2/6/2021 at 2:30 PM, Jeff Charette said:

Loved paddling around the islands but the crossing is about as much fun as watching paint dry.

To each his (her) own, I guess. Like I enjoy pedaling my road bike, I enjoy forward stroke paddling as much as the destination. Depending on conditions and paddling partners, on my dozen or so paddles out to IOS, my one-way times varied between 1:12 and 1:30 (except on one return trip in heavy winds and rough water it was over 2 hours).

14 hours ago, leong said:

To each his (her) own, I guess. Like I enjoy pedaling my road bike, I enjoy forward stroke paddling as much as the destination. Depending on conditions and paddling partners, on my dozen or so paddles out to IOS, my one-way times varied between 1:12 and 1:30 (except on one return trip in heavy winds and rough water it was over 2 hours).

While I don't want to take from this trip..I might be able to paddle out that day. PM me if interested. I would want to have three minimum qualified paddlers..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am posting a new thread for a trip to the IOS next Thursday the 15th. Since many of you are "following" this thread I wanted to post here so you would get notified.

• 10 months later...

2022 Update:

I spoke with Jack Farrell of https://www.seacoastmaritimecharters.com yesterday and the format will be changing a little bit this year and trips can't start until after June 20. He also plans to have a new, bigger boat ready in July or August and he is enthusiastic about it's kayak carrying capabilities! I hope to organize several this year and will start a new thread for 2022 when we get a little closer.