Epsilon Swell Paddle Fri. 10/23 9 am Riverhead Beach

Joseph Berkovitz

Tropical Storm Epsilon, currently approaching Bermuda, is forecast to become a hurricane as it slowly moves north and then east in the later part of the week. It's not supposed to get anywhere near us, but it will be generating some really nice long swell in the mid-Atlantic.

By Friday we should be seeing 4-5 feet at 12 seconds. This is an opportunity to experience sea conditions that we don't see very often, the kind of long-period waves that are more common on the West Coast than the East Coast. The periods will probably be longest on Friday, but the swell from this storm continues through Monday.

I plan to go out Friday morning from Riverhead Beach in Marblehead to explore and enjoy. This trip is not about rock gardening or rough-water adrenaline. It's more about observing and appreciating the beauty of this kind of swell. We can dial in a range of experiences by controlling how far we go into open water, and how close to the shoreline we place ourselves. So if you are not a rock or surf enthusiast, this trip may still be for you.

If you are interested please sign up here: https://forms.gle/ofHofLcGsiiCxjZK7

Meeting time is 9 am.

Please ask any questions on this thread.

Edited by Joseph Berkovitz

The nice thing about this trip is that you have options. You can launch from Riverhead and spend half an hour getting out of the harbor, or cross the street and launch from Devereux and spend half an hour getting off the beach. 

16 hours ago, mhabich said:

The nice thing about this trip is that you have options. You can launch from Riverhead and spend half an hour getting out of the harbor, or cross the street and launch from Devereux and spend half an hour getting off the beach. 

? 

Yeah. I would consider other venues (it sounds like some of you out there wish it was not Riverhead) but I do not have access to a car tomorrow, so my choices are constrained to a single very local put-in. For those who would like to surf a bit - optional of course - we can work our way around to the Devereux surf break which comes alive in long period swell and midday will be a good tide level for that.

Also, fact check: it takes no more than 15 minutes to get out of the harbor ?