Muscongus Bay launch and overnight recommendations ?

bazzert

Hi all,

Looking for any recommendations for good launch and overnight parking (1 night) preferably on the western shore of Muscongus Bay. Paid/Commercial okay. I know there is a launch in Round Pond but dont know the overnight parking situation. 

thanks!

Barry.

Barry, 

Best bet for Western shore of Muscongus if your looking to avoid Round Pond, is Muscongus Harbor. Midcoast Kayak runs their operation from here. It is a small fee to park. You can also contact Maine Sport Outfitters in Rockport regarding parking in their lot at the end of Bradford Point Road in Friendship. This parking area services the Maine Island Lodge property on Gay island. Hope that helps. Feel free to DM me. 

Kyle 

Barry, Out of state cars overnite parking got egged at Round Pond this summer.  I've always used parking at Muscongus Harbor.  Also small fee but well looked after.  Haven,t been there in a few years, but assume it's still operational.  Folks who have houses on islands park there.  All tide ramp launch.

Prudence

Edited by prudenceb

Prudence, this is the place. I spoke to the owner when I arrived. He charged me $10 per day to park, which I was happy to pay. There was no mention of a price increase. Upon return, 2 days later, these signs where up. There was no one around to speak with for further clarification.

40 minutes ago, Jeff Charette said:

Prudence, this is the place. I spoke to the owner when I arrived. He charged me $10 per day to park, which I was happy to pay. There was no mention of a price increase. Upon return, 2 days later, these signs where up. There was no one around to speak with for further clarification.

Maybe he'll treat kayakers differently. ?

1 hour ago, prudenceb said:

Maybe he'll treat kayakers differently. ?

In past years, during the busy season, we have always unloaded boats and gear down at the ramp, then parked across the street, near the owners house. A few weeks ago there was not a lot of activity at the marina and the owner directed me to park in the marina's main parking lot, down near the water. This is where the signs are. I was wondering if the price was different for kayakers parking across the street, but there was no one there to talk to at the time.

Thanks Kyle / Prudence / Jeff, 

I reached out to Muscongus Marina and they confirmed that they charge $10 per night to park, and $5 to launch. A small price for peace of mind! 

I was leery of occupying space at Round Pond. There is also a public landing in Waldoboro or I have also used the parking and launch on Bradford point road in Friendship; but like Round Pond its relatively small. 

Barry.

I saw those signs in Jeff's photo and thought that they were just for the parking spots closest to the water that did not belong to Maine Kayak. I thought that they may have been put there to distinguish the Maine Kayak spots from the Marina spots. I didn't notice any similar signs in the back area of the same lot, which also seemed to belong to the Marina. It does seem that being real clear on the cost with Muscongus Marina is a good idea. (Jeff - wasn't the parking fee a little bit funky? Per person rather than per vehicle?) It is a handy location and not as busy as Round Pond can get.