Early P%H kayak,

On my way back from Winnipesaukee (SUP) I had to stop and see this                                                               .              IMG_0322.jpg.2bba3fbeb11cfccbf61a0bff686172a9.jpg                          

Derek Hutchinson design built by P & H. Could not tell the year. Looks like1980's manufacture. . $895 OBO. I bet they would take less than asking.

IMG_0325.jpg.9c809e2e80ae39064bbc803833e61c5a.jpg It is in very good shape and looks like it has been inside for 30 years. Very similar look to a NordkappIMG_0323.jpg.4b85fc355d151e609269c2a4ab4c7681.jpg. Maybe a forerunner? Two 8" hatches and chimp pump on rear deck. Mid size cockpit, possible ocean skirt sized. Sorry I did not get this to For sale but felt it was half history lesson. I have a phone number but did not want to publish here. It is in Alton NH.

IMG_0324.jpg

Yes I should have taken more pics. There is a good write up about these online. Expedition boat, tracker loaded and a bobber empty.  Would love to see it go to a good home but not mine.

I believe Derek talked about that boat in one of his books.  Urban legend is that someone complained to Derek about one of his boats being twitchy and in response he asked how much kit they were carrying.  When they said it was typical day paddle stuff he scoffed and said, " I designed it to handle right with a 100# of kit for tripping.  What do you expect?".

Maybe this was the boat that cuased Derek to say the right length for a sea kayak was no more than 18' because he could not make anything longer in his garage.

A rare find and no doubt still sound and ready for an adventure.  Ham radio people love to buy old tube gear often 50 years old to restore just for the fun of using them warts and all.  Maybe someone will see value in doing same for old kayaks.

Ed Lawson

It is amazing how bits of  history show up at yard sales.  A guide in Maine bought an old, well used  Romany at yard sale for $50.  Turned out to be one of if not first Romany ever shipped to US.  Predated MICKO, etc.  Still solid and still used last I heard.

Ed Lawson