Latex Care in the Non-Kayaking Commuity

I have been informally sharing these latex care tips and someone suggested I post them to the group. I am wary since gasket care opinions seem to bring out the zealotry in all of us, but here goes.

The simple and effective prescription, "wash gaskets with mild soap and water after every use" is something I never heard another kayaker recommend. Yet it seems to be seen as a virtual necessity by latex users outside the paddling community, and it has saved me a number of gasket replacements already.

I use my drysuit in all seasons, and went through 2 sets of gaskets in 2 years. Each set gradually became sticky at the edges, weak, and showed many tiny cracks when stretched, over the course of 3-4 months of use. Eventually the gaskets blew out. All three gaskets on each suit did the same thing. This did not seem right. (And, yes, I regularly applied 303, which appeared to do nothing for this problem.)

I did some Interwebs research on this problem and discovered that there is a lot of material on latex care, much of it from latex-costume enthusiasts. There seemed to be pretty widespread agreement that acidic sweat and skin oils attack latex, and one needs to wash it after each use with detergent.  I do have very oily skin, as it happens. (One of my ancestors may have been an engine gearbox.) And the part of the gasket that was going bad, was clearly the part with the closest contact with my skin. So I began a regime of washing the gaskets by hand with a mix of dish detergent and water after every paddle, inside and out, and then rinsing with water. Since then: no problems at all!

(It probably won't surprise anyone that many (perhaps most) websites that offer advice on latex care are devoted to sexual fetishes and costumes. I don't think of NSPN as an especially prudish bunch, but just to be on the safe side I'm not going to include a bunch of links in a public post. Google "latex care washing" if you'd like to read some of the source material for yourself.)

This is timely for me as I just tore my second neck in the space of about a year. I just examined it and it appears to be like new except for the straight line tear down the front. 

I apply 303 monthly to the outside of the gasket but have not yet tried the Joe protocol. I think part of my problem may be anatomical. I have a relatively scrawny neck but an enormous head. It's fairly easy to get my Kokatat size L on but always a struggle to get it off. NRS sells a gasket in XL but I don't know if it would seal my neck well. I'm going to call Kokatat and NRS shortly but would be pleased to hear any input here. Need to order something soon, going to try some tape until I can get it done. 

4 hours ago, Joseph Berkovitz said:

@Jim Snyder If you apply silicone skin lubricant to the inside of your gasket it will make it super easy to pull it on, and this won't hurt the latex. It washes off later with the detergent. I will bring some on our next trip so you can try it.

I'd like to try that stuff, too, Joe!

May I hi-jack this thread?  I wonder if that tape to which you refer is useful as a temporary sealant for (composite) boat hulls?  Is it strong enough, do you know, Jim?  It just could be an easy solution for those wishing to carry repair kits in their boats...

I bought it for that purpose and carry it in my repair kit, though I haven't had to use it yet. If I keep paddling with Bob Levine I expect I'll get a chance to try it out sooner or later. They claim it will seal even under water. When I bought it it was on the shelf at Home Depot but it looks like now you might need to order it. We'll see how long my taped neck gasket holds up, that should be a good indication. I was amazed I could get it on and off right after taping.

2 hours ago, Jim Snyder said:

Maybe it's my technique.

When I was training as a drysuit scuba driver, they taught me to use my hands to pull the opening wider as though it was a rubber band before pulling my head through when putting the suit on or taking if off.  They said the latex has lots of stretch available in that direction compared to the minimal stretch available in the other direction.  They did NOT want students ripping their rental suit's neck gasket!

This NRS YouTube video calls that "widening the opening with your hands:"

I do that but I have a head like a basketball. Has anyone tried silicone gaskets? They seem to be popular with divers and apparently are quick to replace once you've glued the installation system in. 

Joe,

Have you found info about where to store your dry suit and the way components in electric motors attack latex? Not sure of the details..

I always store my suit in a second floor closet. My gaskets last for years generally. I use 303 and almost never wash.  I have used pieces saved from old gaskets to do repairs and buy time before it could be repaired. Just use contact cement or aqua seal. 

A brief google search reveals that it's apparently common knowledge that ozone from sources like fluorescent lights and electric motors causes latex deterioration.

https://www.radicalrc.com/Trexler Latex Care & Treatment.pdf

I have been storing my drysuit in the basement with compact fluorescent bulbs and multiple large power tools. 

I have ordered the SiTech neck ring and a silicone neck gasket to try. I will be reporting on my results in a new thread.

I hav a friend who mildly  303'd his gaskets every time he used his drysuit , and they lasted over 7 years without needing replacement. 303 is invaluable!

I have a lot of experience at work  with latex , and in my  experience , latex is a natural product which is inconsistent in its performance.  Stored or used under the same conditions, some latex molds , gloves, and products  will come to tear easily or deteriorate  (into a gooey or crumbly  substance,)  and some last intact  for many years. I wouldn't be surprised if  there were two  identical drysuits,  built at the same time ,  bought at the same time and used with the same care,  and one set of gaskets were to  fail way before the other.  Generally speaking, latex is sensitive to the environment (air quality, sunlight, extreme heat or cold etc) , so storage in a cool dry dark space  (like a closet)is highly advised, and left in the sun overmuch is not a good thing. 
 I bought My first drysuit  at the Kittery Trading Post: I was gearing up to buy one around Christmas, but saw a suit at KTP  October with a sale price I could not resist: Its gaskets failed almost immediately, and my theory is that it had been hanging  out on the sales floor   (in the sunlight) for a long time, which is why it was on sale. 

Edited by PeterB

Interesting. For sure you have seen lots more latex than I have!

Perhaps I just don't have enough data points, and I finally encountered some lucky pieces of latex that didn't decompose quickly. In the meantime, I'll use both 303 and soap and water I guess, and as always be careful where I store my drysuit...