Assist to kayak rack. Can I get around a Hullavator at this point?

alcoons

Before I go full out for a Hullavator, would love some suggestions for assist in loading my Original Cetus over the trunk of a Subaru Legacy to a horizontal Thule roof rack. I have been doing it for years by lifting the 65+ pounds and resting it on the rear window covered with a bath mat and the lip of the trunk . Then I lift the stern, slide the bow through the equivalent of the Thule Dockglide on the rear rack. The rear rack allows the kayak to slide through when you push from the rear. Then I lower the bow on the front rack which does not allow the kayak to slip. This has worked well but recent medical problems (pesky doctors) and aging suggest I should not lift as much.

Rather then lifting the entire weight onto the window and trunk are there temporary rollers I can put on the trunk so I can slip the kayak up the back of the car into the position I mentioned?

Other suggestions beside a Hullavator (not sure I can use one with my Subaru Legacy bars locations? Specs require the bars to be further apart then fits The Ru's roof. 

Thanks in advance.

Al

PS. Anyone have a used Hullavator? I will just add lots of duct tape if it does not fit specs.

Thanks for the suggestion and the kind offer.

Ironically, a couple of hours after posting my question, I searched the web using a different combination of key words and the Sherpak showed up.  I also found some (old) complaints about its ability to stay attached on anything but a perfectly flat window and its relatively flimsiness for a heavy boat. I ordered one today from REI (more expensive but the return policy makes it worth it in this case). Will let you know about the outcome.

David. I have tried the Hullavator before and it is wonderful. My concern would be whether it is safe on the short roof of my car. Thule specs say no, but my rack sure seems bomb proof. I will cross that bridge if the other options do not work out.

Al

• 1 month later...

Too Big Too Heavy a Boat? Poor paddlers Hullavator.

Report on the Sherpak Boat Roller and tricks to save your boat and back.

Overall this has been a wonderful solution to my problem. In fact, even though I am now well enough to load my boat without it, I wish I had purchased one years ago. It makes loading and unloading so much easier once you learn the easy tricks to use it safely.

Published complaint: The suction cups do not work dependably and require perfectly clean surface:  For the first couple of uses these complaints seem true and frustrating. However, they quickly went away with use. Now I don't even clean the trunk top and it works well. It is worth adding a bit of pressure on the cups with one hand as you throw the lever. The only failures I have had is once or twice I find one cup has lost pressure AFTER I am done loading or unloading. However, loading or unloading went well. Perhaps I should clean the dead sea animals off the trunk after all.

Published complaint: How to easily drop your boat: As mentioned, don't place the front of your boat (near the bow) on the rollers. That area is not flat enough to keep the boat from rotating on its side and then slipping quickly off the rack. I though I could be careful enough to control the boat as I worked my way back to the stern to push the boat on the rack but don't even try it. Luckily, like a cat, my boat landed squarely on the driveway without damage.

Easy FixLuckily I came across a video which provided an easy fix and reduced the effort needed overall. Unfortunately I just cannot relocate the video so here are my instructions for  loading boat on a rack on driver's side of the roof:

• Place your boat on the ground with:
    • the stern directly in-line with the roller and rack, but
    • the boat at an angle so the bow is on the ground on the driver's side perhaps in line with the back of the rear door.
  • Then pick up the bow, placing the keel between the narrow bow and broader area under the cockpit on the rollers.
  • Then you can go to the stern with much less danger of the boat falling off the roller.
  • Don't let go of your boat until you have these steps down and practiced. 
  • Remove the boat in reverse order.

Hope this helps.

Sorry. Easy to do, hard to describe. Ain't that always the case!

Still cannot find the video but I can take a couple of still photos which will make it very clear. Will post them here.

Al

11 hours ago, alcoons said:

Sorry. Easy to do, hard to describe. Ain't that always the case!

Still cannot find the video but I can take a couple of still photos which will make it very clear. Will post them here.

Al

Thanks, Al.  

On 5/30/2019 at 10:12 AM, alcoons said:
  • Place your boat on the ground with:
    • the stern directly in-line with the roller and rack, but
    • the boat at an angle so the bow is on the ground on the driver's side perhaps in line with the back of the rear door.
  • Then pick up the bow, placing the keel between the narrow bow and broader area under the cockpit on the rollers.
  • Then you can go to the stern with much less danger of the boat falling off the roller.
  • Don't let go of your boat until you have these steps down and practiced. 
  • Remove the boat in reverse order.

I just used this method loading for the first time on my new used Thule Dock Glides on my Imprezza (who names these things?) Easiest load I've ever done with just a bath towel on the top of the hatch.

Here are the photos. Let me know if there are questions. I do have a pad under the stern.

A. Stern in line with rack, bow one side of car.

1982537968_A.Sterninlinewithrackbowonesideofcar.thumb.JPG.63b4071b44ae9fb2825dd1a515b942c5.JPG

B. Lift bow and put on trunk rack.

1002449575_B.Liftbowandputontrunkrack..thumb.JPG.ce7d699b357519404866c0e34da2b68c.JPG

C. Place flat part of hull on rack. Don't let go.

1035001222_C.Placeflatpartofhullonrack.Dontletgo..thumb.JPG.a0d8f68edecf46315b2e144f2d9f8cf3.JPG

• 3 weeks later...