Hard sole kayak boots

Sue H.

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been looking on line for hard sole kayaking boots with no success.  I have a pair of Astral shoes (hard sole), which are ok for summer ( if I wear them with wool ankle socks, otherwise the sand gets against my skin & I receive an unintended pedicure). Also, I don’t like to wear them over my dry suit, as I believe the abrasion of the sand will cause problems.  I also have a pair of high top Stohquist (soft sole) booties..which I don’t like at all....my feet get hurt most every time I wear them!  Out of desperation, I have been looking at dive boots.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Sue

Hi Sue

I just acquired a pair of NRS ATB booties, with the hardsole from their work boots and either 5 or 7mm neoprene for the rest of the bootie.  Hope to use them to try and keep my feet warm in the winters (which the Astral's never did).  The sole is much more robust than a flexible version designed to go in a tight WW cockpit.  With the good skiing and windy weather, I haven't really tried them yet so can't give any more info than that.

best

Phil

Here's my favorite: https://www.nrs.com/product/30040.02/nrs-womens-paddle-wetshoe

I like the wide toe box and the lining makes it easy to put on and take off. I also like the tightness around the bottom of my leg. It does a really good job of keeping gritty sand and shells out of the boot. I haven't had any problem walking around on rocky shorelines. I bought these in a panic at KTP on the way to  Maine for a 4-day kayak trip. While driving I realized I forgot my booties and had nothing for my feet. They are my fourth pair (all different) and my favorite, so far. Wayne, Doug and Joyce also have them and like them.

-Nancy

Hi Sue

Finally had a chance to use the NRS ATB boots this weekend.  I bought large for drysuit season (12, normally a mens 10.5).  The ruggedness and stiffness of the sole made a bit of a tight fit in my Cetus MV, but the extra support kept my feet from being worked either while paddling or on rocks.  It was pretty warm (finally), so there were no issues of cold feet in water temps probably in the high 40s to low 50s.  Surprisingly, there was also very little water in the boot at the end of the paddle, even though they're large on me and I walked in the water up to knee high several times.  Overall,  i really like them.  Maybe too warm for mid-summer but otherwise I give 2 thumbs up.

best

Phil

On 4/13/2018 at 11:30 AM, nchill said:

Here's my favorite: https://www.nrs.com/product/30040.02/nrs-womens-paddle-wetshoe

I like the wide toe box and the lining makes it easy to put on and take off. I also like the tightness around the bottom of my leg. It does a really good job of keeping gritty sand and shells out of the boot. I haven't had any problem walking around on rocky shorelines. I bought these in a panic at KTP on the way to  Maine for a 4-day kayak trip. While driving I realized I forgot my booties and had nothing for my feet. They are my fourth pair (all different) and my favorite, so far. Wayne, Doug and Joyce also have them and like them.

-Nancy

I have these, too, in the men's size.  However, I've found they don't keep my feet warm enough in winter.  I took advice from Michael Daugherty's blog and bought 7 mm neoprene surfer boots.  Soles aren't sturdiest, but my feet are finally really toasty and no problem fitting them in a tight kayak.  If anyone interested, I can dig up the link.

• 2 months later...