a passing

rick stoehrer

I was just contacted by a friend......

Most of you probably do not know Jed Luby.  James Edward Luby III

Jed was instrumental at the nascent stages of the club and loved the sport and applied an intellectual and analytical passion that was something to see....you think you understand something and Jed would be over there parsing it 72 ways to Sunday. 

He was instrumental in my development as a paddler...HE made me want to be much, much better...and introduced me to the BCU and to lifelong friends and to a path that I've enjoyed everyday.  He had a similar impact on a lot of people.

It is with the heaviest of hearts and through tears that I tell you that Jed Luby has passed away.

I will post more information regarding services, etc., as they develop.

For know...I rejoice in having known him and think about the void his absence leaves....like a ship moving through fog....you may not see it, but you sense it and see the swirls and eddies and deal with impact of the wake.  Even on fringes....he left big ripples in the pond.

You'll be missed Jethro.

This is beyond sad. 

As Rick said, a mentor and friend of many. 

I remember him describing how he responded during his BCU 4* assessment to the request he perform a roll.  He threw the paddle away as if it were a disgusting appendage and then did a hand roll.  Pure Jed. 

Ed Lawson

This is indeed sad news. Like others, Jeb helped me in so many ways with paddling -  navigation, forward stroke, rolling, cold water paddling, etc. - he was  the example of  "pass it forward" philosophy that the club was founded on. Not to mention - the guy was straight-out funny -- and a fun paddling pal.

He will be missed.

les

I'm very upset to hear this news , and especially  concerned for his family and loved ones. I guess i assumed he was invincible : My impressions of Jed are exactly what others have already expressed. Jed was before my time in NSPN , but he was an eye opener for me , introduced me to BCU,  and I was blessed to have his mentorship at many pool sessions and  a number of intructional situations, my most memorable of which was when i had an all day skills class , just Jed and I, on Long Pond on Mt. Desert Island. He was very thoughtful and analytical, and had a great facility for teaching. He was interesting as hell.