racking a mini-van ??

Phil Allen

Ok, so we bought a Ford mini-Minivan to replace the polluting but low VW wagon.  It's got two thule aero cross bars on it and can do a long spread (length).  Looking for suggestions on how best to rack for usually 2, but maybe 4 boats.  Usually will have two people to load but occasionally might be solo.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,  The Yakima Jaylow converts from a single boat J-cradle to a two boat stacker, so a pair of those would answer the two boat/four boat question, and I think they should fit Thule bars.  But that doesn't help much on the loading solo issue, which can be tough with a J on a tall car.  The old Yakima round bars (but not aero bars) have an optional extension bar that slides out so you could get one end of the boat up, then swing the other end up into a cradle. I wonder if there is something like that you could add?  [And full disclosure, I'm a Yakima dealer (at Newbury Kayak & Canoe) so I know them better than Thule].    Michael

Hi Michael

We've got the previous J-cradles from Yakima, which we've used as stackers with boats on both sides in the past. But that makes a very tall load as you mention.   Mostly looking for inspiration on what others have done.

best

Phil

nothing quite that big Jason.  Went with this one:  http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transitconnect-commercial/trim/wagonlimited/    The "connect" part makes it the mini mini-van.

Phil

Ps and if I had your height I'd just lift the boats on from the side.  It's about the same height as the truck.  ;-)

Edited by Phil Allen

Phil,

My wife graciously loans me her minivan from March-November.  Its spectacular for gear, passengers and boats. The problem was loading when solo.   After some experimentation I settled on the Thule Hullavator.  I swear by them.   I have mounted two and can carry a third boat in between in a j-cradle.  For loading the third boat  I've opted for a step stool.   I believe in your case one Hullavator (for solo trips) and three J style carriers may be an option worth considering. 

The only issue I have run into with the Hullavator is the  pads fix mounted on the adjustable cradles that contact the hull are rigid and because of the geometry are not ideal.  I've compensated for this by covering them with minicell foam.  I think it makes for a gentler ride. 

Cheers!

David

On 12/20/2016 at 3:35 PM, David M said:

Phil,

My wife graciously loans me her minivan from March-November.  Its spectacular for gear, passengers and boats. The problem was loading when solo.   After some experimentation I settled on the Thule Hullavator.  I swear by them.   I have mounted two and can carry a third boat in between in a j-cradle.  For loading the third boat  I've opted for a step stool.   I believe in your case one Hullavator (for solo trips) and three J style carriers may be an option worth considering. 

The only issue I have run into with the Hullavator is the  pads fix mounted on the adjustable cradles that contact the hull are rigid and because of the geometry are not ideal.  I've compensated for this by covering them with minicell foam.  I think it makes for a gentler ride. 

Cheers!

David

Thanks all.   Thought about the Hullavator, but it doesn't work with the aero bars (even Thule) that are the only choice for my 2016 car.   The roof rails do run all the way back to the lift gate, so I'm thinking of using yakima's combined roller/saddle in the back.  With 2 folks to load, should be strait forward, but if its just me, I'll probably need to rest the bow on a foam pad or something before sliding it up from the stern.   Happy Holidays to all.

Phil

I'd check out the Malone sea wings with the stinger attatchment, would have got that for our double but it exceeds the weight limit, the pad on the back of the vehicle bit gets old real quick. Would have gone with just a stacker type setup and pads, something like the Malone K-rack rollers, to assist in the up and over. 

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2016 at 5:51 PM, rfolster said:

Keri-Tek from across the pond makes a rack similar to Thule's Hullivator, but it can take multiple boats:

Image result for kari-tek  #overkill

It's a kayak trailer without the trailer.

#CoolRack

1 hour ago, beckt said:

Just curious as to how you like the transit..... I am just starting the "look around" and the transit catches my eye. I do wish honda would put out the element again.

I've seen folks really struggle getting boats on top of the transit.  Even two people.  Just sayin'.

Pru, 

you want to have a look at my new Metris - a great  little van (sized between a full size Transit and a Transit connect) 

By the way, The Kari-tek roof rack is very much the  Freight train of the roof rack world;

robust, well made, capacious...

...heavy, rattley, un-aerodynamic and a pain to store when you're not using it

Nick

P.S. I think that's a Metris hiding behind the kayaks in Rob's Kari-Tek photo

I recently learned about this new rack system out of Canada.  Never seen one nor do I know anymore about them then what their web site shares and understand they will most likely come in cost wise at about what the Hullavators go for.

https://mosracks.com/en/

~Scott

2 hours ago, NPearson said:

Pru, 

you want to have a look at my new Metris - a great  little van (sized between a full size Transit and a Transit connect) 

By the way, The Kari-tek roof rack is very much the  Freight train of the roof rack world;

robust, well made, capacious...

...heavy, rattley, un-aerodynamic and a pain to store when you're not using it

Nick

P.S. I think that's a Metris hiding behind the kayaks in Rob's Kari-Tek photo

Nick, I'm happy with my Subaru Crosstrek, which is about as tall as I can manage a car.  Plus...don't see myself as a Mercedes kinda gal ?...  

22 hours ago, NPearson said:

TBH, a little bit of me winces when I don’t see a VW badge on the front

My next kayak mover is going to have to have a plow in the front...

On 4/17/2019 at 1:30 PM, chetpk said:

I recently learned about this new rack system out of Canada.  Never seen one nor do I know anymore about them then what their web site shares and understand they will most likely come in cost wise at about what the Hullavators go for.

https://mosracks.com/en/

~Scott

Hi - disclosure first - besides being a long time member of NSPN and paddler, I've been working part time at Newbury Kayak and Canoe for the last several years (loving retirement!!).  We sell Yakima and Malone rack systems, and the MOS guy stopped by a couple of weeks ago to show us a prototype (see below).

Based on what you've described a good option would the the Malone Telos XL Load Assist with either the Downloader, J-Loader, Auto-Loader or Sea Wing.  https://maloneautoracks.com/Telos-XL-Load-Assist-Module-MPG3511.html

The Telos' two "legs" hooks to the landing pads of the carriers and extend down the side of the car to the ground - max extension is 98.25 inches.  The older model (I think we still have a couple, but need to check inventory) rests on suction cups on the side of the vehicle so vehicle height isn't an issue - on a really tall vehicle you have to do a slightly higher lift to get the boat into the lift hooks.  You slide the front and rear lift hooks down, set your boat on them,  then walk them up the side of the vehicle and into the carrier.  Simple, sturdy and effective.  First use of them I saw was a 75+year old customer moving his boat up a not short pick up.  Depending on your height and the vehicle height you might need a stool to do the last couple of hitches, but that's a lot simpler and safer then trying to lift a lot of boat up.  Look at the link above and if interested stop by the shop.

Other nice things about them:  If your spending the night in the same place your paddling, they would make a great boat rack - put the boat into the lift hooks.  You might even be able to use them as a temporary rack in your garage.

FYI - we had the MOS Rack folks stop by the shop about ten days ago with a rack.  Sturdy and operates smoothly.  One nice thing is that it will take a variety of industry standard rack attachments - boat, bike, etc., which gives it a lot of flexibility.  Price point hasn't been set yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit less than the Hullavator - but again, don't know.  Uses gas cylinders (like on a car trunk, but more robust, both on the lift and the lower operation - pretty smooth.

Edited by kattenbo