Oil canning for lack of a better word

dcycleman

So I was loading my wife's fiberglass Cetus onto my pickup the other day and I noticed "denting" where the hull sits on the foam blocks on my racks. I don't he-man the tie downs when I secure her boat either.  Is there anyway I might reverse this ? Mabe by suring up the inside of the hull with blocks in the sun? Any other thoughts?

the glass isn't cracked and it isn't all that pronounced.

Question: Have you left the kayak on the rack for an extended period (even just a couple of days)?  The heat from the sun can soften the boats just enough to allow pressure points to inprint over time. I think that there can be remedies, but maybe not so much of a DYI. The man with the magic touch in Westport (Carl Ladd) tends to be pretty busy during the summers, but you can always ask. 

I had this happen with and composite boat. Was able to use heat gun to outside of hull while someone applied pressure to inside.

Use oven mitt or something else to protect hand from heat. Once nice and hot (Careful not to burn gelcoat). With person applying pressure to hot hull,

I would spray cool water on hull of boat to  stiffen it back up. I fixed had 2 very noticeable foam block indents. By the time I as done. unable to detect.

Good Luck 

Thanks for the replies guys

i think I'll try leaving it in the sun for a day weighted in those spots.

Rob- yes it was on my truck while at work strapped down in the sun. 

Pretty sure that's when I noticed it

Not sure where the "dimples" are, but I have had same experience as John's with slight "dimples" on the side.  So consider not messing with weights at first and just let it sit for a day or two to see if it heals itself before doing anything more dramatic.  I doubt the dimples matter in terms of functionality.

Ed Lawson

• 2 weeks later...

Yep,  me too

Did the same thing to my old Xplore on Malone J's with some added foam pads...not to tight, but way too much time in the racks that summer.  Glad to hear some of the solutions, as I have only tried the sun heat method to no avail.....

Edited by BillyD
spell