Plum Island, June 4, 2006 (Long post)

kattenbo

I read through the report on the Plum Island rescue. A very well written and valuable report.

On the topic of reentry into a kayak in surf conditions, I can agree that even skilled paddles who easily know how to roll in normal seas may not succeed. The area of Plum Island and Cranes beach can be exceptionally tricky and changes all the time due to the open ocean exposure, strong tidal currents and relatively shallow waters. One day it can be a beginners paddle, the other it will take all your skills and judgment to stay upright. In those conditions the only thing that had worked for me to get back into a kayak are SEAWINGS. These are two inflatable sponsons that are attached to each side of the boat. Upon capsize you clip them in 4 eyelets on the boat (one is always clipped in so you do not lose them; a strap goes around the bottom of the boat) and THEN inflate (not the other way around). This takes at most 5 min. Any kayak becomes a very stable platform even when filled with water. You can then close your spray skirt, insert a pump through the spray skirt, pump and slowly leave the surf zone. The SEAWINGS do slow down a kayak but they give you back a manouverable slow boat. I have also seen people using other types of inflatable devices to attach to the kayak sides. If strapped together right, this also works. Like with other safety devices one should also practice to use them.

>>> Gunther

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Gunther,

Are you proposing that what takes you five minutes to do (I'm making an assumption you timed that in flat water) would have even been possible for Keith and John attach/inflate when they had trouble even holding on to their boats?

I have a sneaking suspicion that you are unaware of how a boat moves in 10-12' breaking seas.

Suz

I do not think it would have been possible to put on seawings after a capsize in these conditions nor would they have been enough to keep the boats upright in conditions that pitch-pole a 17' kayak.

There really is no reliable rescue if you blow your roll in 10'-12' breaking seas(which is easy to do). The only safe alternative is not to be out in them, assuming you know ahead of time that is what you are facing, or to call the CG for help. Trying to put on sponsons or do a paddle float or cowboy rescue would be next to, if not actually, impossible in that kind of water.