2016 New Year's Day Paddle In Boston Harbor

rfolster

To be, or not to be? That is The Question.......

...... when taking about being towed. But we shall get to that in due time. This trip report has taken me some time to develop, and as you read to the end, you will understand why.

I have been trying to paddle on New Year's Day for some time now, and either weather or illness has prevented it. So when this year showed to be a promising day, I just hoped I didn't come down with something, which I didn't. The plan was to paddle the Boston harbor from one of the few public put-in locations, specifically a lonely stretch of beach on Morrissey Boulevard near the famous "Gas Tank". Upon arrival, it was decided to relocate to a more "populated" launch at City Point, which is right next to Castle Island and Pleasure Bay.

The first order of business once on the water was to paddle up the coast line and see if we could catch the L Street Brownies taking their annual dip in the cold Boston waters. Unfortunately, we missed the mass event by over an hour, but did still get to see a small group jumping in almost as fast as they ran out. We are still not sure who is crazier, the swimmers who must endure the cold water for just moments, or kayakers who, if not careful, may have to endure a much longer immersion. For this New Year's Day, it would be the swimmers.

While the forecast looked good all week, the winds did decide to err on the stronger side of the forecast, sustaining around 10 knots with gusts upwards of 15 knots. If it weren't for the mostly sunny skies, I think that our group of five would have been much smaller. Alas, with the understanding that a West wind would be our nemesis on the return leg, we all decided to head out around the islands of the Harbor.

I do believe that this was my first time ever paddling the harbor, and I must say I owe the islands an apology. I have always imagined the harbor islands to be scrappy, insignificant lumps of dirt and useless vegetation sparsely spread out in a cauldron of spoiled water that stagnated in the shadows of the Boston skyscrapers while the deafening roar of jet airliners incessantly scream overhead. I might have been just a wee bit off. These substantial islands are well within navigational range of each other and the shore, and are just as enjoyable to paddle past as many of the islands along the coast of Maine.

While the ambitious goal was to paddle out to Georges Island, we opted for the more realistic goal of making it back against the wind and thus a shorter route. While we all knew what we were up against, the inevitable occurred and group dynamics were strained. We had one paddler veer off from the group to head more into the wind and waves, and another struggle to make expedient headway against the wind. It was suggested that I take the slower paddler under tow and the group converged on the wayward paddler to assess their condition and reestablish our game plan and destination. A brief rest stop was made to arrange additional towing equipment, but it ended up not being deployed, while I was confident to continue towing the slower paddler. We made it back to the launch in fine order, and this New Year's Day Paddle was officially in the books.

After the trip, I received an email from the slower paddler expressing much regret at being towed, only because they feel deprived of the opportunity of an "accomplishment" having completed the paddle back on their own accord. They regret not refusing the tow, whether it was to not disappoint a faster paddler, or just the momentary desire to not deal with the wind. Interestingly, it turns out that the wayward paddler that had separated from the group was told that they were to be towed beyond the rest stop and yet ended up refusing. They paddled on their own accord back to the launch, keeping with the group. They as well have since approached me to discuss their thoughts and concerns about the day. These two polar opposite situations that occurred simultaneously have prompted some deep contemplation on my part, and I apologize if this trip report has become too esoteric.

So, now to The Question, and this is merely rhetorical as I don't believe there is any one right answer: To be towed, or not to be towed? At what point does a paddler have the right to refuse to be towed - beyond the obvious that they are physically incapable or that their lives are in imminent danger? Should a paddler be allowed to fight their own battle as long as they are not putting the rest of the group in at risk in doing so? Does a group have the upper hand in wanting to paddle faster and not allow one in the group the opportunity to have a moment to grow as a kayaker? As leaders, do we ever consider the emotional consequences of towing someone who may feel that they do not want or need to be towed? I ask these questions as someone who has had to tow others, but don't ever recall being towed myself, even though there have been moments where I would have greatly appreciated a tow, but one never came.

I think that if people attempt to answer the questions, the only common ground will be the words "it depends". Yet as I continue to pursue leadership further, these are questions that I struggle with - to find that ever-moving fine line between "yes" and "no". In the meantime, I reflect on my past decisions, independently of whether or not they were right or wrong, and the truth of the matter is that my decision most likely has had an effect on someone else. Maybe they were happy to have the assistance (I know of one that was), or maybe they felt berated at the idea that they were "not good enough". I am willing to bet that there are people out there who dismiss all of this as "just a part paddling", however I am starting to believe that a "situation" shouldn't end when we arrive at the beach. I will let others come to their own conclusions, as we all have different leadership styles.

I have not provided any names to protect the innocent and guilty alike. If they feel the need to contribute, that is their decision. I would just like to I thank those that joined me to mark the New Year in a very special way, and hope that we get to do it again next year.

Hi Rob-

Interesting question that might get more responses if separated from the trip report and posted on the main board. A quick not well though out answer on my part is: what are the consequences? Will the slower pace cause a delayed return? by how much? is that past dark, past a gate closing or past the worry time? Are the faster paddlers able to go slow and, in the cold especially, maintain their temperature and energy balance? Will the rest of the group resent moving at the slower pace? Will the group be willing and able to be cohesive at the slower pace? No real answer but things that would go through my head.

best

Phil

Splitting the group on a winter paddle is something that I would work hard to avoid.

It's much better to put someone on tow and keep the group together than to read about the results of not doing that in the paper the next day.

Lotta things to consider in the comfort of my recliner and looking through the retroscope, where vision is always 20/20 or better. Probably the hardest thing for me to remember to discuss at the beach briefing is "contingencies". ( I recall a semi-chaotic ~3mile paddle back to LobsterBuoy campground a few years back.) Though you had a small (5 paddlers) group, there should be a pre-launch discussion about paddling in "conditions" which I would say qualified, given your forecast. The main concern for me would be:

How to be sure to keep the group cohesive?

Not easy, especially if you're paddling with strangers.

-everyone turn on radios and perform radio checks at each launch

-Designate a pointwoman (leader) who is a good navigator (radio a must); no one gets beyond earshot or ahead of this paddler

-Designate a sweep with radio (no one gets behind this paddler)

-Sweep keeps reins on leader AND other paddlers, noting if paddler(s) are struggling to keep up

-If one or more paddlers are a hindrance to the safety of the group, arrange a tow (You have discussed and agreed upon this at the beach briefing).

With larger groups which may include strangers, designate ahead of time (private discussion, pre-beach briefing) paddlers who can break off and monitor/lead the fractured group(s).

My $0.02

gary

There is a difference between being towed and teaming up to keep the group moving together. When two paddlers ‘team up’ it is a merging of there energies together, with some directional stability, that helps the paddler being on tow keep the pace necessary to move the group through a difficult section of travel. The one on tow may not have the skills yet to cope with the conditions at hand to the degree best for the rest of the group. However, that does not mean they are not still in those same conditions and the opportunity for learning is still there. Think of this more like drafting in a cycling, you must still do the work necessary to achieve the goal, none the less, there is a sense that your more of a team in the pursuit that goal. Remember that this is not like a dead weight being pulled along. Watch the tow line in action and you will see small bursts of assistance with plenty of slack in between.

As for the necessity for two paddlers teaming up, this is a question about the groups soundness, so, here is how I draw the line. We grow by reaching deliberately above our last known comfort level, and most of us are willing to make accommodations for growth in others as we go. Reaching to accomplish a difficult (for us) windy crossing, or heightened sea state, or current is great. But, practice when there is less a stake. Winter paddling is not for everyone, you as a group are already in contention with the environment. We are out there because we have practiced and have the skills to even the odds a bit. The environment still has the upper hand and we are very small in its midst. The winter habitat is a place you must respect, for you are only out there because you’ve taken ‘temporary’ precautions, like dressing for immersion not just comfort. The reason we wear drysuits is to postpone hypothermia. The reason we train to do fast effective rescues, or better yet, avoid having to be rescued, is not start that downward movement that takes away our small assets for survival.

I often go out midwinter by myself, not using all my assets, but you fully realized, down to the taste in your mouth, how exposed, how small, how alone you are in that world. You are only as good as you are prepared and someday you may be tested.

OK, so naming names, I’m the “slower paddler.”

Here is my take on the day. A group of five paddlers set out to greet the New Year in Boston Harbor. I had paddled with four of the five members of the group at least several times, and in the case of Rob, many many times. The fifth was clearly a fast paddler, and not someone with whom I’d paddled other than a large group at Odiorne several years ago.

It was clear pretty much from the get-go that it was going to be a slog paddling home into the west wind once we made it out to whatever island we ended up on. We knew this from paddling from our launching beach down to the L St Bathhouse, where we had hoped to watch the Polar Plunge spectacle. Returning to our starting point, we were heading into the wind, and got a taste of what we would face returning. I have paddled in much worse.

The fast paddler was ahead of us all the way out as we paddled with the wind at our backs past Spectacle Island and over to Long Island. I was particularly interested in going along the shoreline to look at the abandoned buildings that - before the island was evacuated and the unsafe access bridge blown up – had housed detoxes and homeless shelters that I was familiar with from my work. Indeed, I’d even lectured at one of the detoxes many years ago. There wasn’t a chance to do this as the fast paddler headed directly for the end of the island.

We rounded the end of the island, and got some protection from the wind on the other side, where we pulled up onto the beach for lunch. It was a nippy day. Sunnyish in the morning, but overcast in the afternoon. There had been discussion about going out to George’s Island. I voted against this as I was not thrilled about the amount of work we already had ahead of us once we finished our circumnav of Long Island and headed back toward Southie.

When we made the turn and faced into the wind and waves, I voiced my lack of enthusiasm for the slog ahead. Lack of enthusiasm did not translate into lack of ability or lack of willingness to just do it. We had a mile crossing (back to Spectacle, was it?) ahead of us, into wind as Rob described and waves. Many of you know me. I am not the fastest paddler in the world, but neither am I the slowest. In this group, I would say that there were three faster paddlers and two slower. The fast paddler soon came up to me and asked how I was doing, and suggested that I had more directly into the waves (rather than have them a bit quartering). I did this. It was a slog, no doubt about it, and it was a lot of work to paddle. I saw the other slower paddler heading off more directly into the waves. I was closer to the others. Then the fast paddler went over to Rob, who was trip initiator (but as this is CAM, not trip leader), and I could see that the fast paddler was discussing putting me on a tow. They came back, and indeed this is what they wanted to do.

I accepted without putting up any resistance for two reasons: one, it hit at my lazy bone – there was clearly a lot of work ahead. Two…I’m not sure what the second reason was – this is hazier: not wanting to have any conflict, not wanting to piss anyone off, not wanting to slow down the group…whatever. So Rob put a short tow on me, but it was not a sit-back-and-enjoy-the-ride tow. I paddled actively, and from my view behind Rob, the two rope was only occasionally taut, but was much more frequently loose: meaning I was keeping up on my own power, perhaps by drafting behind Rob. The times when it was taut were likely times that had I not been on tow, I would have lost ground.

So we got over to the island (Spectacle?) and various things about tow ropes were sorted out. I kind of got the sense that the other slower paddler was going to be put on tow as well for the final leg back to the beach. This didn’t happen, and I only found out in reading Rob’s trip report, that this indeed had been the plan, but the paddler had declined/refused the offer/request – and made it back with no problem other than slowness.

So on we headed. It was less windy/wavy, and somewhere off shore, I asked Rob to take off the tow and I proceeded in on my own.

I felt cheerful about the day, thanked Rob for his gallantry, and warming my icy blockish hands and feet (still haven’t figured out to keep extremities reliably toasty) drove on home.

I wasn’t until that night, as I was lying in bed, that I started to get down on myself for having been towed. It had taken away from feeling that I had “done” the day. I was wishing that Cathy had been there, with her new pink boat on which is printed her paddling mantra “No Regrets.” When I’ve been in scary/hairy situations since Cathy got that boat, I’ve thought of that – and it was kept me going in conditions far worse than what we faced that day. (Ask Rob about the 5* training weekend that Cathy and I both participated in!)

As a possible 4* aspirant, I was really disappointed in myself for not resisting the “offer” of a tow. And that disappoint kind of ruined the day for me. I felt I had cheated myself of the feeling of accomplishment from soldiering on like everyone else. But are those selfish thoughts?

I should add that it wasn’t late in the day; it wasn’t getting dark. We landed before 2 pm or so. What I found myself asking was whether if the fast paddler hadn’t been on the trip I would have ended up on the receiving end of a tow. I rather think not. I would have slogged on, as I have in cold and windy conditions before. (Indeed, I have been on a camping trip with Rob and others in either November or December when the wind and cold absolutely put an end to our plans to be able to do the paddle we wanted to do, and we ended up doing around the length of the Boston Harbor one.)

I don’t know whether it was the fast paddler’s lack of familiarity with me and my skills that played into the tow issue being brought up. If it had been someone the fast paddler knew who was fighting the conditions, would a tow have been suggested? This question goes to the issue of paddling with people with whom we aren't familiar, and the different ways that leadership issues come up.

From my perspective, we were not in a dangerous situation – other than that which makes cold weather paddling Level 4 paddling regardless of wind and sea state; we had plenty of time to get back to the launch; I felt perfectly comfortable with the sea state and never had any concern that I might capsize. Maybe I’m wrong in the analysis that it was not a dangerous situation. Had I been left to my own slow devices, maybe I would have reached the point that I just couldn’t have continued and would have asked for help. I don’t think so, though. If the fast paddler had been more familiar with me, would the tow suggestion have been made?

For the sake of thinking this through, let’s just say the other slower paddler hadn’t veered off (dealing with which raises a whole other set of leadership questions) and we had all been more or less together: three faster paddlers and two slower ones. The question that comes to my mind when I think about leadership in this situation is: would it have been reasonable for the faster paddlers just to slow down, to stay with the slower ones. Obviously when safety is at stake, this is not a reasonable plan. I don’t think that was the case on New Year’s Day.

Interestingly, all this has made me think about another paddle I was on this summer, when I SHOULD have asked for help and to be towed…and didn’t. Right after my two week kayak camping trip to Alaska I did a three day 4* training with John Carmody (one of the days involving a one mile crossing of the Sheepscott River as a gale was descending) and a bunch of NSPN buddies. The following weekend, I went out on the Fourth of July with Nancy and Wayne Hill and a cast of many for an absolutely flat calm 17-mile paddle. About two miles from the finish, I started feeling a twinge in one of shoulder blades that got worse and worse. I kept having to stop to massage the spot. I remember that Wayne slowed down and asked me if I needed help. Ah, pride! I said, “No.” By the time I got back to the launch, my shoulder blade was on fire. I couldn’t help lift my boat out of the water. I had trouble sitting in the restaurant where we all stopped for burger and a beer. Driving home was agony. It turned out I had muscle spasms that lasted for three full WEEKS without respite. I went to an orthopedist and got an injection. I went to PT. It wasn’t until I was directed to a magician of a sports massage guy that I had my first night of non-drugged and relatively pain-free sleep.

I couldn’t paddle for a month. What would have happened if I had just said, “I’m in pain and I can’t go on.” Would I have lost that month of prime paddling time? I don’t know. I know that it was stubbornness/pride that made me keep going – to my detriment.

As for New Year’s Day…well, it was complicated. I would be interested in any GENTLE thoughts that people might have. I have not yet stopped being disappointed in myself. But question whether that is just a selfish reaction.

So to end on a cheerful note, let me let you all enjoy a few photos:

post-101481-0-84626000-1452541990_thumb. post-101481-0-51518900-1452542008_thumb.

post-101481-0-38173700-1452541960_thumb.

And, my ignominy... (and towing hero, Rob!)

post-101481-0-69537000-1452542029_thumb.

pru

Pru,

I have no words to change the way you feel/felt. As a leader I find it's much more difficult to deal with the speed demons then the slow pokes. Something seems wrong that the speedster encouraged towing and yet did not tow. It's a difficult issue as a leader, but I always think trips should be defined by the (unintended judgmental words here) "weakest" paddler that day. And we all have days where we're the weakest.

best

Phil

I'm wondering why a short tow was chosen; care to share the thinking there?

And, having seen many backs on many paddles I think that whenever possible we paddle as fast as the slowest paddle.

I agree with the navigator/back & side sweeps being the ideal formation.

Pru, thanks for coming forward and posting your thoughts and perceptions of the paddle.

As a self professed "slower paddler" I find that there is an assumption among some faster paddlers that when conditions deteriorate, I.e. big waves, strong head winds or gusts, that reducing speed will put them at increased risk. Years of experiences paddling slowly in big conditions have convinced me that this is not necessarily true and may have more to do with personal preferences and is not an issue of safety. Sure slowing down when conditions get gnarly if you're capable of a faster response may feel less safe but it may have more to do with paddling outside of your normal response. Perhaps slow paddling in big conditions needs to be practiced more? Finally, those of us who refuse tows do so because we feel perfectly competent to paddle on in the conditions we are in and feel that accepting a tow to make others feel better may not be a reasonable tradeoff. Naturally I would agree that if a tow would increase the overall security and safety of the group, it should be accepted.

A personal anecdote: I was once in a situation with another stronger paddler when the weather changed: the winds came up and 5' rollers were at our beam. We both paddled hard for the lee of the harbor and since he was stronger soon put some serious distance between us. Then he stopped paddling and waited for me to catch up while he braced against the waves. This happened two or three more times and when we were safely in the harbor he complained that my paddling put him at more risk. I suggested that stopping put him at risk and that if he only paddled at my speed he would have felt as safe as I felt.

Edited by GCosloy

What if the "fast" paddler had towed the "slow" paddler instead of "instigating" the tow? Instant "neutralization" of extremes within the "Bell curve of velocities" within the "New Year's Day group"!

"Andy"

P.S.: I'm curious what the participants actual thoughts about the level of risk of the situation in which the tow was initiated is/was.

I'm wondering why a short tow was chosen; care to share the thinking there?

It was a daisy-chained tow line, not a "contact" type of short tow. The daisy-chain put Pru about a boat length behind me (see Pru's last picture), which kept her within easy communication range, although the wind didn't help. Since we had no swell creating a following sea, there was no risk of her surfing into me. If there had been a considerable amount of incoming current against the wind causing a potential surf situation, I would have let out the rope for a full length tow line. That would reduce the likelihood of a surfing boat running over me.

What if the "fast" paddler had towed the "slow" paddler instead of "instigating" the tow? Instant "neutralization" of extremes within the "Bell curve of velocities" within the "New Year's Day group"!

"Andy"

P.S.: I'm curious what the participants actual thoughts about the level of risk of the situation in which the tow was initiated is/was.

Andy, my question is whether initiation of tow needed to be made at that point at all. I would not ultimately have been any happier being towed by fast paddler (who by the way didn't have a tow belt on) than by Rob. And at the very least I could tell myself I had given Rob the experience of doing a long tow into wind and waves as he contemplates that fifth star ;-). My question is whether conditions were such that anyone was at risk - I think not - and whether slowing down would have accomplished the same thing.

Rob,

I was glad to read how you had an opportunity to discover the beauty of the Boston Harbor islands. Several of the islands can accommodate camping and some have spectacular views of the Boston skyline. Although their beauty can rival islands off the coast of Maine, I have never been able to spot a bald eagle in Boston Harbor.

On the issue of tow versus no-tow and the leadership decisions involved, I can’t really help sort that out for you. I know it is your nature to focus on continuous quality improvement regarding your leadership skills and based on the posting above there are many great ideas.

I would like to share an observation.

Rob, I have noticed how you, more than most NSPN paddlers, lead “open enrollment” trips. Anyone who meets the club requirements regarding skills/gear is welcome to participate. That is a wonderful service you graciously offer. Knowing how difficult it can be to lead a group of paddlers who do not always understand the unique skills of their team mates, adds to the complexity of what you offer. Although I have seen the open enrollment model used by other leaders, those trips are most often L2 trips.

I know there is a needs within NSPN for the special trips you offer and your superb leadership skills make them safe for all who participate. I say, “Job Well Done” and keep up the good work.

Hey, next time you paddle in Boston Harbor, keep an eye open for any bald eagles!

Warren

Pru: I wish there was a tongue in cheek-emoji to attach to comments. The emphasis of my comment was on "instigate", which got lost in the flurry of quotation-marks I used. It was meant as a friendly jab at the unknown speed-paddler in the group to do the job himself rather than "make" Rob do it, although I'm sure that Rob was grateful for any opportunity to further his 5* training. That said, I am not sure that you really needed the tow.

I am still curious to hear participants' opinions on the perceived danger-level at the time of the tow. Was there silent consensus, apart from expressed consensus between Rob and "Speed-paddler", that someone needed a tow?

I am still curious to hear participants' opinions on the perceived danger-level at the time of the tow.

The issue at that time was not so much a matter of danger-level, but think of it as more of a need to prevent any danger level from arising. At that time, we had one paddler headed in a different direction than the rest of the group, for whom I was allowing a "long leash" in leadership terms (something I still need to work on). With the group spreading out in conditions that required a modicum of effort and attention, leaders need to make decisions based on the good of the group - yes maybe for the safety of the group, but I think that we delve on the "safeness" more than the overall well-being of the group. Am I splitting hairs? Maybe, but I believe that there is a difference. For example, was the wayward paddler still within communication - yes, but should you really have to yell to communicate - no. That is MY take on safety versus congeniality, and something that is not taught in "leadership school".

Here are two hypothetical points to ponder (although I am sure everyone will try to answer them anyway):

1) If I had taken the initiative of bringing the wayward paddler back to the group right away, would the tow have been initiated anyway?

2) What if I had decided that the tow was not necessary and initiated a quick discussion on an alternative plan?

Again, there are no right answers, just some questions to file away for the next time a situation arises.

And now to Warrens point about the "open enrollment" concept. It is quite simple, really - I learned to kayak because people who didn't know me let me paddle with them. People like Gary York letting me go out to Jewell Island for my first camping trip, even though I had never paddled that far before; and Peter Brady for taking me along to Great Wass for my second camping trip where I stupidly lost my boots and Warren let me borrow his sandals to continue paddling; and Doug Mogill for standing so patiently while it took me FOREVER to flip my boat over during my first cold water workshop. The list goes on and on of people who had no idea of who I was and what I was (or wasn't) capable of took the time to let me learn. I do it for others because others did it for me, and I find that paddling with people that I don't know so well actually pushes me to be a better paddler. I WANT to be a better paddler, because I know that I still have a lot to learn. That is why I do trips like this, and spend so much time thinking about situations like this.

A personal anecdote: I was once in a situation with another stronger paddler when the weather changed: the winds came up and 5' rollers were at our beam. We both paddled hard for the lee of the harbor and since he was stronger soon put some serious distance between us. Then he stopped paddling and waited for me to catch up while he braced against the waves. This happened two or three more times and when we were safely in the harbor he complained that my paddling put him at more risk. I suggested that stopping put him at risk and that if he only paddled at my speed he would have felt as safe as I felt.

Gene,

Well, as the potential first “first gentleman” (Bubba Clinton) might say, it depends upon what the meaning of the word “condition” is. For example:

1. Given that conditions were manageable and weren’t changing for the worse then you were right. That is, StrongPaddler* had no reason to alternately sprint ahead and then wait for you to catch up. :douglas:

2. Given that conditions were deteriorating (perhaps a thunderstorm was coming) and StrongPaddler thought that the sprinting demonstrations would convince you to paddle faster then he/she was right. That is, you should have sprinted like hell to get off the water. :raft:

-Leon

* Splitting hairs: Strong is the ability to withstand a great force and power is the rate at which work can be done. Given equal forward-stroke forms, a strong paddler isn’t necessarily faster than his less strong partner; however, a more powerful paddler is faster than his less powerful partner.

Hi Katherine.

I define “Open Enrollment” as an approach used by an NSPN trip planner such as Rob to assemble a team for a trip they plan to lead. The trip is posted on the NSPN Trip/NSPN Event section of the website. The trip initiator encourages all potential participants to post their interest on the thread. The process is very transparent to the potential participants. Unless the paddler lacks proper skills/gear, all are accepted.

A “Closed Enrollment” is also an approach used by an NSPN trip planner. The trip is posted on the NSPN Trip/NSPN Event section of the website. In this case, the potential participant is required to post their interest via PM message function only. This approach allows the trip initiator to filter the participants to achieve their desired result.

Both approaches are used within NSPN.

Warren

This has been an interesting exercise, there is one piece omitted that could lend a different perspective on the discussion unless I just overlooked it. Beach briefing? Was there one? Was it made clear as to the purpose for the trip and the expectations of members of the group? ie. stay together Did everyone agree to stay together?

if there was expectations of members staying together, then the discussion between Rob and the wayward paddler should have been about him staying with the group, not the need to offer a tow (albiet that "conditions" were not putting the paddler or the group in a compromising position) If Pru had decided to refuse a tow, then the group still stays together at the slower pace. Also, in a perfect world, I think each paddler has the responsibility to know their limits and realize how their limits impact the group.

Gene,

Well, as the potential first “first gentleman” (Bubba Clinton) might say, it depends upon what the meaning of the word “condition” is. For example:

1. Given that conditions were manageable and weren’t changing for the worse then you were right. That is, StrongPaddler* had no reason to alternately sprint ahead and then wait for you to catch up. :douglas:

2. Given that conditions were deteriorating (perhaps a thunderstorm was coming) and StrongPaddler thought that the sprinting demonstrations would convince you to paddle faster then he/she was right. That is, you should have sprinted like hell to get off the water. :raft:

-Leon

* Splitting hairs: Strong is the ability to withstand a great force and power is the rate at which work can be done. Given equal forward-stroke forms, a strong paddler isn’t necessarily faster than his less strong partner; however, a more powerful paddler is faster than his less powerful partner.

Biff,

You are correct, however the situation I described was 1. Not 2. I've been in conditions like 2. several times and each and every time paddled toward safety as if my life depended upon it. Biff, if you continue to insist on hair splitting, you'll give Sir Godfrey unneeded competition.

Rob,

Clearly you enjoy giving back to NSPN and the club benefits from your generosity. I do see the potential for NSPN paddlers to give back a small token of their appreciation for the work and effort you put into planning and executing each trip. Maybe each and every paddler who joins in could simply ask you the question, “Rob, how may I help YOU?”

Rob, now that the idea is out there, prepare yourself for how to respond. If I read your post correctly, I now understand no one has ever offer to tow you. When a speedy paddler on your team asks you, “Rob how may I help YOU?” Ask them to tow you! That should tire them out! Hey, while you are being towed, could you scan the sky to find me a bald eagle?

Kayaking is so much fun! J

Warren

As these things go, this discussion is staying pretty manageable. Here are things that I know:

Fast paddlers can't seem to slow down except when there is love and caring between the two paddlers. Even then it is sometimes difficult for the fast ones to slow down.

Slower paddlers are just that - slower. Even when the group speeds up, they do speed up but they still can't match the fast paddlers pace. At faster speeds, their top speed is still less than the faster paddlers...

Sometimes fast paddlers think they can demonstrate how easy it is to "show" others how to speed up and give them incentive by going faster. This doesn't help the slower paddlers.

I find that when paddling gets tougher, paddlers tend to get into their own heads and just focus on their strokes. The fitter amongst us have an easier time dong this and then they go faster... big sigh here.... then the distance between the fast and slow becomes even greater.

Here is something else I know... the fast paddlers could in fact come back to the slower paddlers and begin again or they could simply wait. Problem is that when it is cold, and they wait, they get cold. Easier then is for them to loop back. Get some extra miles in,,,

The only solution is to assist by towing the person so that the group can remain together. In this case, there wasn't any real need to "hurry" other than the group was getting separated. If the only way to maintain the group is to slow the fast and speed up the slow, then have the fast tow the slower... Always easy to say but in practice hard to do and hard to accept...

I think that tows are generally underutilized, so it looks to me that in the situation described here a tow was a perfectly sound option. Looks to me like conditions were such that the risk of lines in the water was minimum, towing aided the group and didn't put the tower or group at any added risk, so, if it helps the group achieve its desired destination, and forestalls any worsening of the situation ( that would be the big A in " CLAP": anticipation , awareness avoidance of problems before they occur) then why not? I guess that one of the challenges in towing is how the towee feels about it, but i would offer that being both group conscious and a competent and proactive victim and participating positively in ones own rescue/tow ( kayak parlance for , eg , person being rescued or needing a tow) is actually another advanced skill. A few years ago i was seasick in advanced conditions and asked for a tow; and i'm glad that i did rather than try to gut it out , which almost surely would have led to a more difficult time for both me and my group, so in this case , initiating the tow earlier was better than later.

In my own BCU training, I was taught that if a leader's judgment a tow is needed, to just initiate the tow: I've done just this several times (usually with a fellow paler either having trouble with directional control, or fatiguing in the wind and it's s never been a problem.