Cold Water Workshop - Hands and Feet

Suz

In anticipation of the upcoming Cold Water Workshop on Nov 6, I thought it might be nice to start "discussing" different aspects of keeping warm. This will benefit those who can't attend and help to prepare those who will be attending.

Hands and feet are usually the hardest to manage. There is much trial and error in figuring out what works and what doesn't. Also, what works for me, may not be what works for you. I have heard of success in things such as dish gloves with gaskets added to ski gloves made of fleece. So, now is the time to share what you find works for you in the hopes that it will help someone else.

Here is my preference for hands - at this time of year I add one "pogie" wrapped around the shaft of the paddle. Why one you ask??? Because usually that is all I need and I switch it off between both hands as needed. As the cold or wind increases, I add the second to the shaft. I use Kokatat Kayak Mitts made of wind block Trops. http://www.kokatat.com/products/hand-jackets/tropos-kayak-mitt.html I like them because they block the wind without adding too much weight or being too warm. When my hands are too cold for just the wind block, I add a light neoprene glove. My current favorite is the Ice Bay by Glacier Glove http://www.glacieroutdoor.com/store/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=17 The raw neoprene is grippy on the paddle and the glove isn't so heavy that it is hard to grip the paddle with. I find they may not last long as the neo is thin and the seams may need a little reinforcement on the outside after they start leaking. But, they work for me. When really cold, I combine the pogie with the glove and I can handle temps down to 20 with light winds.

Personally I wouldn't recommend the use of a pogie alone although the neoprene pogies are quite warm and are comfortable enough to use that way even in the coldest weather. The problem is that once you take them off, your hands are fully exposed and once exposed to water or wind, they become useless pretty quickly.

As for feet, I move to a drysuit as soon as it is too cold for short and a shortie dry top. So, I just use a medium weight pair of wool socks under the drysuit and a shoe over the drysuit sock. I find the key to warm feet is keeping them dry and having shoes big enough that you can move your toes within whatever you are wearing.

Anyone else with ideas and suggestions for hands and feet?

For info on the cold water workshop, please see the posting in the trips section. http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=8237

As of now, we have 12 VOLUNTEERS ready to assist at the cold water workshop.

Thanks,

Suz

I think it was Rene who suggested to me to put the thin latex gloves under the neoprene gloves. That worked well last year for really cold paddling in keeping the occasional splash from penetrating to the skin. Actually, the only time I got cold was during lunch on the beach! - so extra boots and gloves in the hypothermia kit are another suggestion.

Bob

I think it was Rene who suggested to me to put the thin latex gloves under the neoprene gloves. That worked well last year for really cold paddling in keeping the occasional splash from penetrating to the skin. Actually, the only time I got cold was during lunch on the beach! - so extra boots and gloves in the hypothermia kit are another suggestion.

Bob

Gloves are indeed very individual: I have had good results with Glacier Gloves, and also these Chota gloves which are a kind of spongy neoprene: both do a decent job keeping my hands ... well , not exactly warm, but functional and reasonably comfortable, and both provide good manual dexterity for me .

Ive never had problems with cold feet with just socks under the drysuit goretex booties, and a normal paddling shoe. But Ive never really had cold feet , so thats just me.

Yes , its during lunch on the beach , or while not paddling etc , that hands can get cold, and then its nice to switch to some hiking or hunting mittens, or comfortable toasty dry-land gloves.

My current favorite is the Ice Bay by Glacier Glove http://www.glacieroutdoor.com/store/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=17 The raw neoprene is grippy on the paddle and the glove isn't so heavy that it is hard to grip the paddle with. I find they may not last long as the neo is thin and the seams may need a little reinforcement on the outside after they start leaking. But, they work for me.

I definitely second the Ice Bay glove. That is the heaviest glove that I feel comfortable wearing while holding a paddle. Unfortunately, the seams definitely do give out. I think I'm on my third pair. I have not tried "a little reinforcement on the outside" and am curious about the details of what worked.

I acquired a pair of pogie's last X-mas, and used them for a new years day paddle. I felt a bit trapped in them, when combined with my big hands and the Ice Bay gloves. They were also a non-starter with my Greenland paddle.

Dry suit with booties is probably better for feet warmth as gaskets can effect circulation, also no insulation at the gasket. This is my only problem with the hands, i.e the liners must be pulled back so they don't end up under the gasket. Otherwise Nordic blues and synthetic liners (others use wool) have been flawless. Keep a couple weights of liners, the second ones can be used later in the day as your hands can/will sweat inside.

I like paddling in cold weather with neoprene pogies. They do have limitations however: monkey walking to launch in surf is a problem and immersion is as well. Last year I bought a pair of NRS Maverick gloves and they have been great, similar in concept to the Glacier gloves but better made.

My hands and feet both get cold easily. I'm a fan of the Glacier gloves and reinforced the seams with Aquaseal which has held up reasonably well. When the weather gets colder, I wear Smartwool ski socks. And I bring my ski gloves to put on at lunch time. I also like having two pairs of paddling gloves with me-it's really nice after lunch to take my hands out of my ski gloves and put on a dry pair of paddling gloves instead of the wet ones from the morning.

I have this perforated foam mat that I use for standing on with drysuit booties to prevent puncture.

When it gets really cold, around december, I am thinking about placing it in my kayak below the seat to insulate my thighs off the cold hull.