New to Sea Kayaking Workshop

rylevine

Yesterday's NTSKW was a combined workshop and pool session at the Portsmouth YMCA. There were about 40 participants to the workshop and 20 in the pool. The two-hour workshop in the exercise room included seminars on NSPN and sea kayaking intro (Bob), the sea kayak (Gene), the paddle (Lisa), gear (Ed), clothing (Lisa), and camping intro (Warren and Rob). The refreshments, pool session sales, NSPN material sales, and banners were organized by Cathy and Rob. The pool session had teams around ten or so boats led by a volunteer. It started with Cathy and Gene demonstrating pool entry, wet exits, rolls and rescues. The teams then started with wet exits and progressed to other skills - mostly rescues. The NSPN volunteers mentioned above were joined by Janice and Doug for the pool session. In addition to the volunteers and participants, thank you is due to the Seacoast Family YMCA staff led by Kat. They were very helpful and accommodating to our requests. The feedback from the NE Seacoast Paddlers Meetup has been very positive, and I think all the participants were informed and excited about sea kayaking through our efforts!

Bob

PS. The pool session participants received a first year membership in NSPN, so let's welcome these newest members to the club.

This was a blast. Takes you back to when you were first starting. The participants seemed to enjoy it and expressed much appreciation.

My photos were a little disappointing, but they give you the basic idea.

I took one video, here...

Lisa

The new format and location seemed to work really well. I was very impressed by a number of the attendees. I suspect they will be great new members to NSPN.

By the way, linking the pool session to free membership in NSPN was brilliant!

Warren