Kayak safety books.

jason

I started kayaking at the end of the summer, and that November/December I read and was strongly influenced by:

Sea Kayaker's Deep Trouble: True Stories and Their Lessons from Sea Kayaker Magazine

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Kayakers-Deep-Trouble-Magazine-ebook/dp/B001NAC4W8/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1396919744&sr=1-2&keywords=deep+trouble

Among other things, it convinced me to invest in a drysuit and a VHF radio that first winter before I resumed paddling in the spring.

Please feel free to add your own book to the list:

1. http://www.amazon.com/Avoid-Huge-Ships-John-Trimmer/dp/0870334336

I’ve only read the book reviews so far. Some examples of the book’s advice according to the reviews:

- Do not charge the huge ship at full speed in an attempt to scare it off. This may work with coyotes, but it is less effective with huge ships.

- Similarly, do not roll your boat over and play dead. Unless the huge ship is captained by a grizzly bear, this will not work.

- Do not attempt to go under the huge ship. This is typically not successful.

- Do not attempt to jump over the huge ship.

- Do turn and run.

Based on these suggestions I think I’m a contrarian on the subject of “How to Avoid Huge Ships”. Here’s why:

About five minutes ago while paddling in the Palm Beach Inlet I was confronted by a huge ship moving towards me in the channel. You can imagine my horror when I realized I had only 3 or so minutes before the lumbering behemoth would run me down. With no place to hide and only a wing paddle to propel my kayak, I quickly sat there motionless; however, I did take a picture and downloaded it to my waterproof laptop attached under the bungees of my front deck. Two minutes later I avoided the author’s advice to turn and run; instead, I sprinted as fast as I could directly towards the behemoth. Suddenly I found myself under the huge ship, between the two parallel hulls. With all of the forward-stroke skill I could muster, I paddled the length of the ship and safely emerged between two gigantic propellers. Guess I made it safely because I’m now typing this trip report on my laptop (at least between low braces).

With tongue firmly placed in cheek,

-Leon

post-100270-0-16068800-1397191021_thumb.

Leon ,

you " quickly sat there motionless"?

Christopher may have something to say about this:

as an oxymoron this ranks up there with some of my favorites , like

" silence crashed through the valley" and

" out of vengeance, woman comes to the defense of Scottish town"

Sea Kayaking-Safety and Rescues, 2nd Edition by John Lull

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Kayaking-Safety-Rescue-essential-ebook/dp/B00BSEQNEE/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397489191&sr=1-1

I find this book to be very good on the topic of how to avoid problems which is the essence of safety as well as how to minimize the damage after things have gone awry. I like the emphasis upon judgement, skills, and teamwork as the foundation of safety.

Ed Lawson

Wow Leon that sounds crazy. I am reading - The Complete Sea Kayakers Handbook by Shelley Johnson. Whole lotta stuff in there I didn't know. I would recommend it for sure.