ICOM M73 vs. ICOM M73 Plus

tvcrider

Not really certain, but I think the Plus features are not applicable for a kayaker. I received the M73 as a free replacement for my broken M72. It has some new features vs. the M72, including a faster charger, a cigarette lighter cable and some minor user interface improvements.

-Leon

Joe:

Hard to tell from the marketing jargon, but the Plus version may include some DSP (digital signal processing) features which might be advantageous for kayakers. This assumes that when they say noise reduction they mean both the received signal and transmitted signal are cleaned up of noise/hiss to make the signals more intelligible and the same goes for what they refer to as bass boost. DSP noise reduction can do amazing things in terms of making a signal easier to copy, but normally I would not think that of much importance with signals strong enough to break squelch in this application. If they are referring to noise canceling when transmitting in a noisy environment which often applies aboard powered craft, then it would be on no advantage at all on a kayak.

The basic radio part or RF brick of nearly all marine VHF handheld radios are essentially the same in terms of performance. Design with regard to case, ease of use, features, and ability to prevent water intrusion of time is another story.

Ed Lawson

Joe:

Hard to tell from the marketing jargon, but the Plus version may include some DSP (digital signal processing) features which might be advantageous for kayakers. This assumes that when they say noise reduction they mean both the received signal and transmitted signal are cleaned up of noise/hiss to make the signals more intelligible and the same goes for what they refer to as bass boost. DSP noise reduction can do amazing things in terms of making a signal easier to copy, but normally I would not think that of much importance with signals strong enough to break squelch in this application. If they are referring to noise canceling when transmitting in a noisy environment which often applies aboard powered craft, then it would be on no advantage at all on a kayak.

The basic radio part or RF brick of nearly all marine VHF handheld radios are essentially the same in terms of performance. Design with regard to case, ease of use, features, and ability to prevent water intrusion of time is another story.

Ed Lawson

Ed, Thanks for your input.

If they are referring to noise canceling when transmitting in a noisy environment which often applies aboard powered craft, then it would be on no advantage at all on a kayak.

If it can reduce wind and/or wave noise in the background, it could be very useful in the kind of conditions that lead to rescue call.

According to this YouTube video, the feature is DSP processing and the demo shows , as I suggested, it can make a dramatic difference in ability to copy. Without knowing the conditions, squelch threshold and environment, in which video made hard to tell much else. Brian raises a good point, and based on video I would be inclined to go with Plus version. I believe some of Icom's other models have this feature as well.

Ed Lawson

Who does not mind changing his mind

The reason I was considering the M73 Plus is that my hearing has noticeably declined over the years. Ironically the ability for me to project my voice has also decreased due to a bizarre vocal condition.

Any VHF radio function that could improve me hearing or transmitting would be of benefit.

As much as the M73 plus sounds like it's a nice radio, I am going to attempt to make my M72 last a bit longer.

For about the same $'s as the M73 plus one can end up with the M92D that includes DSC and GPS.

I don't like the size (I don't like the size of any of the floating radios as they are just larger).

I have to think in the next couple of years DSC/GPS will become standard in all VHF, marine radios.

"I have to think in the next couple of years DSC/GPS will become standard in all VHF, marine radios."

Totally agree. If I were to buy a radio today, I would only buy one with DSC.

I really do not like most of the floating radios for similar reasons. Some of them compromise the battery size to make the radio lighter which is not good for a kayaker although this seems less an issue in the more recent radios.

Ed Lawson