Impressive skies

PeterB

Incredibly beautiful. I've always been a sky watcher and lover of unusual formations but have never seen one to compare to these. I'll keep looking though.

Blaine

Image #1 is a sand storm blowing out to sea near Onslow, Australia.

Aha! Thanks. Knowing that, I found more...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2260560/Wall-sand-whipped-Tropical-Cyclone-Narelle-hits-Onslow-Western-Australia.html

What's this got to do with kayaking? Well, it may not happen very often, but it might be useful to recognize a sandstorm blowing your way while offshore. Of course, you may want to remain offshore for a while, as what's happening on land may be worse. As with a tsunami, your best bet may be to paddle out to deep water before it hits, rather than towards shore. ;)

Edited by djlewis

Aha! Thanks. Knowing that, I found more...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2260560/Wall-sand-whipped-Tropical-Cyclone-Narelle-hits-Onslow-Western-Australia.html

What's this got to do with kayaking? Well, it may not happen very often, but it might be useful to recognize a sandstorm blowing your way while offshore. Of course, you may want to remain offshore for a while, as what's happening on land may be worse. As with a tsunami, your best bet may be to paddle out to deep water before it hits, rather than towards shore. ;)

I love the caption under this picture. "Terrifying: Families in the region were already preparing for the arrival of a category-three cyclone when the dust storm arrived."

The guy was so terrified he wouldn't let go of the beer in his hand! Haha

post-100651-0-23972400-1388347218_thumb.

I love the caption under this picture. "Terrifying: Families in the region were already preparing for the arrival of a category-three cyclone when the dust storm arrived."

The guy was so terrified he wouldn't let go of the beer in his hand! Haha

First things first:

1. Finish beer.

2. Call wife to change baby's diaper.

3. Begin taking pictures.

• 2 weeks later...