Lost in the fog, Again!!

JohnHuth

Just pass this post by...I'm ranting...and it's deja vu all over again.

OK, so I drove down to the Cape today. Y'all got me interested in a kayak race down here, so naturally, being a testosterone poisoned male, I'm now checking out my speed on a GPS and seeing how long I can maintain it- paddled from Harwich to Monomoy and back. On my paddle back, I happen on my old friend, the fog. No problem.

As I approach my house, I pass a jetty where someone is yelling at me. I paddle up and see what's going on. Two boys out in small plastic kayaks are lost in the fog. Soon, the coast guard is out, and the harbor master is out. Luckily the fog lifted and I think they found the boys.

This is just getting too creepy for me. When will people learn to use some common sense?

OK...back to the kayak babe personals....

John,

I agree that this potentially could have turned a lot for the worse. It's pretty sad to be quite honest with you. This is a classic example of why the legislators are trying to do something about it. Not to protect the kayaking community, but the non-kayakers who happen to take out kayaks....

However, did you see them and leave them? Were they just hanging out on the jetty? Trying to get a better idea as to what happened.

Sean

Actually, I found one of them - and helped him back to land. I then beached my kayak and gave as much info as possible to the Coast Guard, who were out by that time.

I also gave the guy I found a lecture about safety - I hope this near miss will at least teach them something!

The legislation currently pending (and don't want to get into the argument again) was proposed in the wake of the deaths of two women aged 20 and 21. They were out in the same waters as today, same waters I was at the same time I was out - that was the Sunday before Columbus day 2003).

The girls died. This time, they boys who were out were lucky. Having been in near proximity to the first tragedy and in near proximity to this near-miss, I just have to wonder - it feels like a curse.

John

There is no curse in bad judgement. While the girls lost and the boys found were young and prone to such lapses, others should not be. Yesterday we watched roughly a dozen paddlers land on Straitsmouth Island. We were swimming a bit and even with the wet suit I found the water quite a thrill. Nary a one of them wore more than a t-shirt. They were all wearing PFDs except the golden lab.

This was an interesting day for wetsuits. I sweated up a storm and had to stow extra water on board to keep hydrated. After it was over, I jumped in the water - boy is it cold!!

Anyway, I counted about seven or eight kayakers in cotton tees and bathing suits.

After debating for two days, I decided to wear my drysuit with one mid-weight long-underlayer. I was comfortable most of the day. A few times, I soaked my hat in the ocean to cool me off. Then we went for a swim off Straitsmouth. Wow! My feet were toasty in their 5mm + latex socks + fleece socks. In contrast, my body under the drysuit was reacting to the cold with increased respiration, etc. To my bare hands the water felt like ice water, so I still had a pretty good idea how much warmer it was in the drysuit. However, when I pulled myself out of the water, instantaneously, it was like I'd never been in the cold water at all. No chill, no significant feeling of evaporating cooling, nothing. The air was so warm. Weird feeling.

I wore only a F.J. Wetsuit and a long sleeve rash guard today. I went swimming a couple times and spent most of the day in the surf getting wet over and over. Although the water was cold, I wasn't uncomfortable in the water. I hope it's time to put the dry suit away for the season.

We paddled in Buzzards Bay yesterday and today and the water must have been close to 70 in the water close to shore along the Falmouth coast. Buoy temps are mid- to high-50's. Stunningly gorgeous weather! Hooray for June: warm weather, warm water, and not too many power boats or traffic.

I've pretty much put my drysuit away for the season. Paddled around Cape Ann yesterday in a FJ and shorty drytop. Definitely heated up a few times, but it's much easier to cool off then warm up. Must have seen a couple dozen paddlers out, and none had a wetsuit or jacket, few had spray skirts, and some weren't even wearing PFD's! Granted some of these spots were in the calm, populated, shore accessible Annisquam, but in more exposed places like Halibut Pt or Straightmouth Island, i would have hoped for more awareness. I felt obligated to say something, but never did. I feel like they'd be upset with me for pointing out their ignorance, and would just end up in a pointless arguement. I even passed one guy with his feet hanging out of his cockpit on the deck, life jacket undone behind his back, and nothing on but swim shorts! I don't want to turn into the "Paddle Police" out there, but i do feel a sort of responsibility to say something.

Does anyone have any good techniques in approaching people to mention something? What have some of the reactions been? The water's still mighty cold out there, and i feel it's only a matter of time before something happens again, and some sort of legislation passes that affects those of us that are more prepared. Any thoughts?

Alan

CD Andromeda - red on white

Riot Boogie II - purple/white

Dagger Id 6.9 - blue/black

>Does anyone have any good techniques in approaching people to

>mention something?

Stick to facts such as hypothermia, make it relevant to the existing water temperatures as regards dress. It's important to phrase it as this is what happens if rather than this is what you are doing wrong. Perhaps they would better accept the risk if you discuss what they know about getting back into their boat in the event of a capsize. The issue of how to call for help if they were stranded might peek their interest.

> What have some of the reactions been?

I've never spoken to a poorly prepared paddler but having addressed similar concerns in other contexts there is the expected range of reactions. If someone doesn't want to listen you have to respect their privacy.

>Any thoughts?

If I take it upon myself to speak to someone, and I would have this weekend if it hadn't been so comfortable lying in the sun on that rock, I would do it hoping to save someone's life. The worst thing you are likely to get is a few rolling eyes at which point you move on and know that you did your best.