Cold Hands - Warm Heart

eburgess

I love cold weather paddling and stay nice and warm on the water - except for my hands! I tried Glacier Gloves, but the thumb on one of the gloves ripped the first time I wore them when I gently pushed off a rock I got too close too. I was not impressed that they tore so easily. Then I tried NRS Maverick gloves which I like for the fit, but my fingers get really cold. I know some of you use neoprene mittens - do you like them, do they keep your fingers warmer than the gloves, can you roll easily with them, and can you get your sprayskirt on while wearing them? I'd appreciate any input.

Ditto what Nate said on the pogies. I use heavy neoprene ones, mostly because it's easy to get my hands into them. Others swear by the waterproof fabric ones (which may be on my christmas list this year). Benefits are that my hands dry faster, and stay warmer (like being in a mitten). Trade offs are that your hands are unprotected if you are swimming, handling gear etc.

best

Phil

Edited by Phil_Allen