Red Sox parade Saturday -- see it on the water?

djlewis

I bet security will be as it was for the fourth of july - no one will be able to get close to the duck boats on private craft. I would imagine they'd have that part of the river blocked off...

pru

Yeah, probably true -- sigh.

But for the Fourth, I though boats could get on that part of the river. Never did it myself, but have heard tales (probably here). IIRC, the problem was competing with wall-to-wall powerboats -- it took literally hours to get out, as the flotilla unwound.

There must be a way to find out the boating restrictions on the Charles for this event. I wonder if the Boston Harbor patrol would have any idea? Even if they don't know, they may know who would know. I looked for a few minutes online but couldn't find out any information.

Yup -- this story on Boston.com confirms your report, Pru...

Boston Police Superintendent-in-Chief Daniel Linskey... said a security zone would be created on the river starting at 10 a.m. that will remain in effect until 2 p.m. Anyone who violates that zone – in the past people have swum into the area and kayaked into the area – will be arrested, he said. The Coast Guard, Environmental Police and other public safety agencies with marine units are assisting with security.

He also said that the duck boats will travel further away from the shore than they have in the past. And he asked parade attendees not to throw baseballs or other objects out towards the players, which has also happened previously.

Understandable.

Edited by djlewis