L2+/3- Explore Ipswich and Essex Bay Coast & End of Crane Beach, Sun. 8/11

alcoons

Sheri, John, Jim and I launched at 10 AM from Lane's Cove on a perfect day. Full sun, quiet seas, light wind. Jim had joined NSPN the night before and this was his first paddle with us. He brought a beautiful wooden boat that he had made without a kit. Incredible inlays and wood work, efficient design, and even a skeg.

We paddle direct to the opening of Essex Bay (call this Essex Gut) and, since it was only a few hours after low tide, on to Conomo Point by the left hand marked channel. While I have spent a lot of time in Essex Bay and around Conomo, I have never gone up that side. It is very attractive at lower tide levels with interesting sand bars.

Headed for the end of Cranes but the wind had picked up significantly and we were nearing max inbound flood. It made more sense in the long run (we thought) to head for the beach at the bitter end of Wingaersheek Rd that forms the east side of Essex Gut. Sheri told me the name of the beach four times, but it is now 24 hours later. Why would I remember it?

The tip of Cranes was covered with boats, but surprisingly this beach had NONE. Not normal in my experience. The one family on the beach was pleasant, but told us that it had always been private but it is now posted. Since we needed lunch and the exit through Essex Gut was not looking friendly, I asked if they would mind we if had a quick lunch and depart. They were very nice.

Essex Gut is often funky, but it was a bit surprising how messy the unpredicted strong the winds and max tide made it. This certainly was bigger than the 2+/3- as advertised. One of our members made a great decision to make the short walk along the beach around the funk rather than overdoing it. Another paddler went with him. Two members of the group paddled through and met them.

Observation: While the conditions were funky and well within my past experience, I have only paddled on the ocean twice this year and did not have a lot of reserve due to muscle problems. After getting through, I realized I could have done two things better. First, I stayed too close to the shore most likely because there were two paddlers on the shore. The other paddler stayed further out after pushing through the worst of the mess. This was a logical and much better decision. Second, I lost focus for a few seconds a couple of times as I made it through something funky and was not as ready as I should have been for the next funk. Lessons relearned. Stay further out and keep thinking all the way through.

In retrospect, we did note that the wind was increasing significantly and perhaps we should have considered going through the center of the gut, which might have been a bit less difficult. However, given one less experienced paddler, our solution might have been the best.

We went direct for Lane's with a dying wind and only a bit of chop. Guess the weather gods saved the strong wind for out exit of Essex Bay. So, it was a beautiful day and a good paddle. Smart decisions were made and a new member showed us his great wooden boat and solid skills and strength.

Thanks to all,

Al

Thanks for organizing a fun paddle Al! It offered a nice variety of conditions and beautiful views on a gorgeous day. John also appreciated the tips from both you and Jim.

Shari

ps. the beach in question was around the neck of Coffin's beach (not sure if that little area across from Crane's is still considered Coffins)