weekends

rick stoehrer

i've been working a lot up in casco on weekends this summer - a place i've paddled for a long, long time. the folks i am guiding are very new, are quite slow by our standards and have little experience. being able to bring them onto the bay and get them out and camping is really a pretty cool experience. it opens up a new, different thing for them and i enjoy it.

this weekend though i helped teach a rocks class out of newport and i don't know if it was just the change of scenery or it was being around paddlers who had more experience or what but it was fantastic! the weather was beautiful, the swell was big enough to offer a little bit of manageable risk and the folks were pretty switched on. it was really nice to go paddling into some lively water, get myself into a jobbly spot and watch and wait for them to sort out the rescue under the the other instructor's overview.

i haven't paddled off of newport in a long time and had forgotten just how amazing it is for a rocks class - top notch. and the mansions in the background off of ocean ave? not bad.