Gloucester to Manchester-by-the-Sea, Sat. 7/13 (L3)

bbjorn

Come join me for an exploration of the beautiful rocky coast of Gloucester, Magnolia, and Manchester on Saturday, 7/13. This is in my opinion the finest stretch of rocky coastline south of Maine. This area is primarily rock but with a number of beaches along the way for rest or in case we need to escape an approaching thunderstorm.

In order to ensure adequate parking near the launch, we'll meet at 9AM at Stage Fort Park on Rt. 127 at the SE corner of Gloucester. Launch by 9:30. This will be a moderately leisurely paddle, allowing time (if the NOAA forecast of 1-2 ft. seas holds) for poking into nooks and crannies with some gentle rockplay for those inclined. If seas are bigger, we'll spend less time poking and more time covering distance. Our activities along the way will be tailored to the interests of the group.

Our turnaround point will be determined by our speed, the weather, and wishes of the group. From Stage Fort Park to Singing Beach in Manchester is approx. 5 nautical miles. Overall length of the trip will be about 10 - 14 miles depending on conditions, activities and energy.

Dress appropriately for chilly water. Either a neoprene shortie or farmer john wetsuit or shortie wetsuit are recommended as the water is still fairly cold. Also, if you plan to venture into the rocks, a helmet is strongly advised.

We'll plan to return to our start by 4 - 4:30 PM.

Note that parking at Stage Fort is $15, a small price to pay these days for access to prime paddling.

Please RSVP here if interested or email me at sunblaine@sunblaine.net.

Also, please be sure to check this posting for any changes or updates.

This is a CAM (Common Adventure Model) trip. I am the organizer but we are all equally leaders and decisions will be made by the group as a whole.

Blaine

Shucks, sorry the date was moved to Saturday; I'll have to miss it and I was looking forward to going.

Have fun!

Everything is looking good for our paddle tomorrow -- calm seas, light wind, no thunderstorms, and even overcast skies to help encourage power boaters to just stay home. Should be a great paddle! See you there.

Blaine

Hi Blaine - If it's not too late, I'd love to join as well. I'll be at Stage Fort at 9am....

Great! See you there.