Rear-Entry Drysuits?

billvoss

Has anyone out there used a kayaking drysuit with a rear-entry zipper like the Kokatat ICON? I'm thinking about possibly buying the ICON instead of the GMER because at least half my trips are rolling practice instead of paddling. Wondered if anyone else had any experience.

My old dry suit non-Gore-Tex had a rear-entry zipper. It worked fine, and I thought had some advantage as the somewhat bulky, stiff zipper was not in the front to interfere with arm movement and add to general bulk and stiffness in the front underneath your PFD. It helped that mine was a little long in the torso so I could pull it up a bit and reach easily over my shoulder to zip it up. It is more awkward if you want to slip out of the neck gasket and sleeves to walk around on land when you take a break, as the top half then hangs off in front of you and flaps all around as you walk. Obviously, the relief zipper makes a big difference.

Bill, I have had good use of my Palm torrent drysuit for 6 years now. Granted a bit awkward with the opening/closing of the zipper-I have added a nylon tether to mine for "ease" of operation, but admit to always summoning help when other than soloing. And when trekking alone one might have a long day stranded if the zipper snags halfway, as it is prone to from time to time.

Never had a front entry suit, so cannot compare the two.

I've had an Immersion Research rear entry drysuit for several years. The rear entry has never been an issue. If someone is around and I am tired, I'll ask for a hand. As long as I keep the zipper lubricated I can easily do it myself. I sometimes have to be careful not to accidentally snag my base layer with the zipper. Its easy to avoid but when you can't see what you are doing its also easy to forget.