Forget the Roll, You may just be able to inject yourself!

cfolster

And now for something completely different . . ..

http://www.techwench.com/scientists-invent-oxygen-particle-that-if-injected-allows-you-to-live-without-breathing/

A microparticle that once injected, oxygenates the blood - see private sector uses at the end of the article. Sure this is a long way off, but I picture something like an epipen that you could carry in your pfd to use if something goes horribly wrong while kayaking.

I wonder if your body stops feeling the desparate urge to breathe once the blood is oxygenated?

And now for something completely different . . ..

http://www.techwench.com/scientists-invent-oxygen-particle-that-if-injected-allows-you-to-live-without-breathing/

A microparticle that once injected, oxygenates the blood - see private sector uses at the end of the article. Sure this is a long way off, but I picture something like an epipen that you could carry in your pfd to use if something goes horribly wrong while kayaking.

I wonder if your body stops feeling the desparate urge to breathe once the blood is oxygenated?

When you hyperventilate you can hold your breath longer than usual because you don’t get the burning sensation in your lungs, That sensation is not directly caused by lack of oxygen; instead, it’s caused by carbon dioxide building up in your body (lungs and bloodstream). My guess is that oxygenated blood resulting from the microparticle will cause a similar effect; i.e. it will delay the burning sensation too. But I don’t really know.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this doctor give a short presentation to a bunch of journalists at the American Health Care Journalist conference. Very cool!