NSPN Kayak Camping Workshop, Thursday March 14, 6:30PM, REI , Reading

PeterB

Please come to the NSPN kayak camping workshop which will be held on Thursday March 14, 6:30PM at REI in Reading

This years workshop will be special in that it will be run by Kate Hartland and Suz Hutchinson, who between them have many years of kayak camping experience, and who also journey by kayak differently. So the workshop will offer two unique and valuable perspectives: how they plan, how they pack, how and where they travel , how they cook and eat, and how they pack out what they bring.

Kate will provide a unique exposition which combines her kayak camping experiences, advice , and photographs (which are well known and loved by all of us in NSPN) . Suz will focus on camp cooking, kitchen and recipes: she has planned and prepared food for groups as small as one and as large as 10 and over.

One of the fun things about is for people to share thetr own perspectives , so, if you have a favorite and unique bit of kayak camping gear (that you can fit in a tote bag or something like it) , youre welcome to bring it for show and tell.

This workshop will be suitable for paddlers with no experience hoping to ge an introduction to kayak camping, and also for experienced kayak campers looking for new or different perspectives on kayak camping

This will be an open event, also posted on REI's s website, REI co-op members are also welcome to attend.

Looking forward to seeing you on the 14th!

This may go without saying but don't forget to register on the REI Website. I'm looking forward to the workshop!!!

I'm pretty sure you don't HAVE to register on the REI website. Peter, can you confirm this?

Surely it won't be over attended and that would be the reason they would want that! (Although a full room would be nice.)

If anyone has any special requests for what they would like to have Kate/I address, post here or send an e-mail to me.

suz at kayakne dot com

Hi Suz,

Some of us planning to attend see ourselves as multi-day (6 + day) expedition wannabes and we are concerned about the best approach to handle our dietary needs. We may have limited space to carry food, as well as concerns regarding having the food spoil. We also understand the value of choosing food that will provide us will the energy to complete our journey. Any insights you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Warren

Suz,

For those of us that are SNSP, (Southern-North Shore Paddlers) and would be challenged by rush hour traffic on Rte 93 that night, any chance you will be doing this again at a different REI store?

Thanks,

Audrey

Suz,

For those of us that are SNSP, (Southern-North Shore Paddlers) and would be challenged by rush hour traffic on Rte 93 that night, any chance you will be doing this again at a different REI store?

Thanks,

Audrey

Audrey, I'll be coming up from the south shore, so if I can get there, I think everyone else will be able to get there :) I look forward to meeting with you.

Kate

Looks like you might have quite a full house after all.

Just got an update saying there were 4 registered spots left (there were something like 22 spots left when I signed up a few days ago).

Looking forward to attending, and seeing some familiar faces as well.

Funny, I just checked the online registration info and it says that there are 50 spots and 20 available. Perhaps they just keep changing the number of seats. Truthfully I would be very surprised if the room is full. I have found that whenever events are free, people are not as fussed if they change their mind last minute and don't come.

Great turnout for this event last night, full house. Thanks to everyone who came, and for your questions and input. I wish there had been another hour just for discussion amongst us all!

And kudos to Suz who gave structure to the evening and a lovely balance to my way to viewing camping, not to mention a tremendous amount of information.

So great to see old friends and make new ones!

Kate

Yes excellent presentations and quite nice to meet such friendly folks.

Quite a pleasure to finally meet some of those that I only knew through their writings.

Thanks

Happy paddling.

Kate and Suz,

Thank you both for an outstanding presentation. It was wonderful to see the room filled to overflowing with so many eager kayak campers.

Suz, I will forever remember your guidance that "Every meal, while camping, needs to have dessert. That no one ever turns down a piece of dessert."

As I prepare for an upcoming camping trip with the clan, I see fresh baked brownies in our future. I will be certain to remind them of your words of wisdom.

Warren

WOW, I was so surprised to see such a full house. I assumed half the people that signed up would actually come. There were 55 people in the room!

I will be e-mailing to all who gave me their e-mail address my camping lists and the spreadsheet calculator for my meal plan. If you don't get an e-mail from me, send me an e-mail and I will resend.

Suz

suz at kayakne dot com

• 3 weeks later...