Kayaking in Japan

dsigall

While the wind & snow blow by my window I've been thinking about kayaking for a few days in Japan. I will be in the Tokyo area in September and plan to carve out a week for myself when the work is finished- still a long time away but might as well start dreaming (and planning). A little digging on the web has yielded some intriguing possibilities but it would be great to hear from someone with first hand experience. Anyone paddled in that part of the world? Any suggestions for guides & outfitters? Know anyone who might know someone? thanks!

Dana

NDK Explorer white/quill

Hello Dana,

I had an opportunity to spend 6 weeks at the University of Hawaii some summers ago. While there, I paddled with a paddling group like NSPN. A couple of the paddlers did paddle Japan and it seemed to be not an unusual trip for these group members. I can't remember exactly where they paddled and whether they did it with an outfitter or planned the trip themselves. My suggestion is to google paddling groups in Hawaii and post the same inquiry on their message board, and you may get some bites.

You might be surprised how helpful the paddling communities are in Hawaii. Before going to Hawaii, I posted that I needed a boat to paddle. Several paddlers offered to loan a boat, equipment, etc. - whatever I needed. They also offered transportation to and from the put-in. So you may find the Hawaiian paddling communities very helpful in answering your request or putting you in touch with the right people.

I also know there is a Greenland kayaking community in Japan but I don't know the name. Again, you probably could google it. Maybe Brian N knows the name or Nancy H.

Good suggestion-thanks. I'll give it a try. It also occurred to me that there may be someone in the northwest paddling community who would have knowledge of kayaking Nihon. best, Dana

Hello Dana,

I had an opportunity to spend 6 weeks at the University of Hawaii some summers ago. While there, I paddled with a paddling group like NSPN. A couple of the paddlers did paddle Japan and it seemed to be not an unusual trip for these group members. I can't remember exactly where they paddled and whether they did it with an outfitter or planned the trip themselves. My suggestion is to google paddling groups in Hawaii and post the same inquiry on their message board, and you may get some bites.

You might be surprised how helpful the paddling communities are in Hawaii. Before going to Hawaii, I posted that I needed a boat to paddle. Several paddlers offered to loan a boat, equipment, etc. - whatever I needed. They also offered transportation to and from the put-in. So you may find the Hawaiian paddling communities very helpful in answering your request or putting you in touch with the right people.

I also know there is a Greenland kayaking community in Japan but I don't know the name. Again, you probably could google it. Maybe Brian N knows the name or Nancy H.