New to Sea Kayaking Workshop

rylevine

7th Annual New to Sea Kayaking Workshop
Optional Free Pool Session Following in May

Need advice on getting started? Looking for others to kayak with? Wondering which type of kayak is right for you?

Don't miss our annual New to Sea Kayaking Workshop! Learn what equipment you'll need! Learn about safety. Find out what a beginner's trip is like. Plan future adventures! Discover places that offer classes! Mingle with new and experienced fellow kayakers!

Where: The Gould Barn, Topsfield, MA
When: Saturday, April 20, 2013, 9 am - 1 pm
Fee: Free & open to the public!
Register: with Bob Levine ntskw@nspn.org
Questions:ntskw@nspn.org

Basic Overview: How to choose equipment: kayaks, paddles, clothing and additional equipment. Overview of skills, training and what to expect. Locating and experiencing initial on-water training. Open discussion and questions welcome! A great chance to meet new kayaking friends!

Directions:

From the south, take Rt. 1 north exit off of Route I-95. Follow that to Rt. 97 west into Topsfield. At the stop sign, the library will be on your left and a small side street immediately before the stop sign is on your right - that is East Common Street . Take a right onto this street and park in the lot on the right that is for the Emerson Center/Congregational Church.

From the north, take I-95 south to the Topsfield Rt. 97 exit. Proceed to Congregational Church on the right and Town Common on the left. Make a left turn onto Route 97 East, for 1/2 a second and then take a SHARP left onto East Common St and park in the lot on the right that is for the Emerson Center/Congregational Church.

There is some parking on the street or at the far left end of the church lot closest to the Barn.

New2Yaking2013 Flyer.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

We already have about 25 RSVPs for the Saturday, April 20th, New to Sea Kayaking Workshop. The follow-on pool session is Saturday May 11th at the Haverhill High School Pool, 1:00-3:30.

We will need volunteers for the following: April 20 Gould Barn, Topsfield

1) Bring your boat(s) by. One of the most popular parts of the workshop is having a great variety of boats on the lawn so participants can compare them. Can you drop a boat or two off between 8:30 and 9:30 and pick it up around noon to 12:30?

2) And/or be available to answer questions from the participants during the question sessions and while they look at boats? Between 9:30 and noon would be great but come earlier if you wish.

3) Help with hospitality: greeting, NSPN tent, pick up food, flyers, etc.

4) This year we are having a "camping corner" at the workshop led by Warren. He may also need help setting up the tent and camp kitchen, and running that part of the workshop. Probably a good learning opportunity for NSPN members who missed the NSPN/REI camping workshop last week!

May 11 Haverhill High School Pool, Haverhill

We will need boats, paddles, pfds, etc for the pool session. As done last year, after a brief intro, we will break into groups with 2-3 participants per boat plus an NSPN volunteer (boat owner?) to help people get into boats and teach wet exit, strokes, and rescues. We can pair up boats for rafting and T-rescues. It was a lot of fun last year. Last year we capped the pool to 20 participants and had about 10 boats. May allow a few more this year if we get enough boats and interest.

Please PM me or post here if you can volunteer. Thanks!

Bob

I can help out at both the Barn and pool events with my Boreal Designs Epsilon C200. I can also bring my Cetus Classic if no one else brings theirs, but I would rather bring Cathy's Necky Eliza instead.

I will also help with the Camping Corner. Warren and I will work out the details

I can help out at both the Barn and pool events with my Boreal Designs Epsilon C200. I can also bring my Cetus Classic if no one else brings theirs, but I would rather bring Cathy's Necky Eliza instead.

I will also help with the Camping Corner. Warren and I will work out the details

We can bring all 3 boats!

I can come to the Barn and bring (for something completely different) my QCC. Will be willing to perform grunt labor as needed.

Does anyone have (or could borrow) a basic rec boat to bring for comparison? Mine didn't work so well last year because it has rigging and a rear bulkhead. People kept wanting to buy one :-) A rec boat that is more mainstream would be good to demonstrate what not to paddle in the sea. Some of the people we had last year were dismayed to hear us say that they should get a 15-16' kayak and so were drawn to my little Kestrel. I just searched the web for a picture of Cleopatra's Needle, but with no real success. I was thinking that we could get a bulkhead-less rec boat and tape a big blow up of the picture on it with the word "NO!" or something like that.

-Lisa

All,

Thanks for the offers of boats and help! Looks like another impressive display of boats is shaping up - especially the exotic ones; QCCs, Tahes, and etc.

Lisa,

Great idea. Unfortunately, I sold all of my rec boats - but not before trying to fix float bags into one with comical results as soon as it capsized. We could demo the difficulties of a swamped rec boat at the pool session....

Bob

I can come to the Barn and bring (for something completely different) my QCC. Will be willing to perform grunt labor as needed.

Does anyone have (or could borrow) a basic rec boat to bring for comparison? Mine didn't work so well last year because it has rigging and a rear bulkhead. People kept wanting to buy one :-) A rec boat that is more mainstream would be good to demonstrate what not to paddle in the sea. Some of the people we had last year were dismayed to hear us say that they should get a 15-16' kayak and so were drawn to my little Kestrel. I just searched the web for a picture of Cleopatra's Needle, but with no real success. I was thinking that we could get a bulkhead-less rec boat and tape a big blow up of the picture on it with the word "NO!" or something like that.

-Lisa

Perhaps you could borrow the Walden Paddler that you helped me sell?

Actually, I still have an old perception pirouette. Not really a rec boat, but I'll bring it if we can't find a better example. - Bob

• 4 weeks later...

It is hard to estimate attendance at the NTSKW, but we are at about 45 RSVPs. This year we are planning (hoping?) to have enough experienced NSPN members with their kayaks and gear in order to break into groups of 4-5 participants per group. Each of the leaders will discuss gear and clothing, car racks and loading tips, demonstrate sitting in the boat, possibly demonstrate a wet exit and forward stroke, and answer questions. We have an able and willing bunch of leaders, but a few more volunteers would be great - the more we have the less the size of the group. Before the breakup into groups we will have an Intro to NSPN, the kayak components, and paddles. Afterwards there will be a short discussion emphasizing safety, and resources for tide/currents and weather information.

The Gould Barn session starts at 9:00, but the barn will be open by 7:30. If possible, we would like to meet with leaders by 8:15 to go over the agenda. By the way, this year we are having a "Camper's Corner" run by Warren and Rob. If you missed the NSPN Camping Workshop, this will be an opportunity to look over camping gear and ask questions.

In addition to the Gould Barn session on April 20th 9:00-1:00, the pool session is now scheduled for May 11, 2013 at the Haverhill High School 1:00-3:30. We also need volunteers to bring kayaks and introduce participants to the kayak on the water. The goal is to have each participant get into and be comfortable with a boat, and successfully wet exit. It is a short session, but last year some of the leaders managed also to demonstrate a forward stroke and some rescues.

Please post here or PM me if you would like to be a leader at either the Gould Barn session or pool session. Thanks!

Bob

ps. There will be morning refreshments and a pizza lunch at the Gould Barn session.

cleardot.gif

Each of the leaders will discuss gear and clothing, car racks and loading tips, demonstrate sitting in the boat, possibly demonstrate a wet exit and forward stroke, and answer questions...Before the breakup into groups we will have an Intro to NSPN, the kayak components, and paddles.

cleardot.gif

So just to call it out, sounds like each leader needs to bring drysuit, wetsuit, sprayskirt, paddle, pump, paddle float, compass/chart or whatever? Participants last year were mostly interested in what to wear for summer paddling, but telling them about cold weather clothing is a good way to hammer in the idea that cold water is important and dangerous. I was planning (weather permitting) to wear my summer paddling clothing, hat and all. Not very fashionable, but it does make it simpler to answer the questions.

-Lisa

Hi Lisa,

We talked about having a gear table, but now I think it may be better to get as much gear as possible with the leaders so they can discuss the items and answer questions. It may be inefficient to have a central location for everything. I'm bringing my dry suit and wet suit, boots, pfd, sprayskirt, paddles, pump, paddle floats, compass/chart, dry bags, radio,...basically everything in my boat when I go out. I was planning to mention safety concerns specific to cold water paddling with my group, and emphasize the need for appropriate clothing and gear. Leaders without gear can just point out stuff in neighboring boats. We can sort it out in the morning of the session by arranging boats close to gear, as long as enough boats and leaders show up. By the way, we are up to about 50 RSVPs for Gould barn.

Bob

Looking at the weather forecast for the week, looks really nice...until Saturday, when rain is currently forecast for all day. We'll obviously need to keep an eye on the forecast, because we may have to have the formal - non-small group - presentations indoors.

pru

We talked about having a gear table...

Bob

Hi, Bob, I think the separate groups are a great idea - much more efficient and we don't end up wasting so much time passing things around. I guess my post sounds like I'm complaining about bringing stuff - not so at all :-). We could, if we wanted to, set up a gear table during lunch break with a person there to answer questions - might not be necessary though.

Lisa

Bob,

I believe Rob and I will be arriving between 7:30A and 8:00A and setting up our large tarp. Rain is not a problem for us campers. Chances are, we will be sitting in our crazy chairs enjoying the rain. Now if a thick fog bank rolled in, it would be prefect! Could you arrange that Bob?

Warren

Hi, Bob, I think the separate groups are a great idea - much more efficient and we don't end up wasting so much time passing things around. I guess my post sounds like I'm complaining about bringing stuff - not so at all :-). We could, if we wanted to, set up a gear table during lunch break with a person there to answer questions - might not be necessary though.

Lisa

Lisa,

I didn't get that from your post. I agree that it may be a good idea to move gear to a main table during lunch and gather around to answer questions. Also, you are correct that the focus should be on summertime paddling. Who in their right mind would paddle in the winter?! Thanks.

Bob

Bob,

I believe Rob and I will be arriving between 7:30A and 8:00A and setting up our large tarp. Rain is not a problem for us campers. Chances are, we will be sitting in our crazy chairs enjoying the rain. Now if a thick fog bank rolled in, it would be prefect! Could you arrange that Bob?

Warren

Warren,

Be careful. It may be hard to find your way out of Topsfield in a thick fog.

Bob