Plum Island Sound

spider

Had a chance to get some paddling in today, Launched from Pavilion Beach Ipswich so thought I would mention there was no snow or ice up in the Sound at least as far as the eye could see.

Didn't go up to the Parker River, but everywhere I paddled looked fine, so was able to get in a few miles winter paddling.

Quite nice today, missed all last winter's paddling so today was a bit like a "kid in candy store"...all smiles :->

• 3 weeks later...

Went back today (tue). This time heading over to Cranes Beach on the last of the ebb tide. This was a low tide launching and when I looked over to Sandy Point there was a line of breakers extending off the point for at least a mile or more.

Pretty sure this is a fairly new arrangement. The usual sandbar was there and this was almost as if a new barrier sand bar was created

parallel to that extending way out toward Cranes. Others might have a better idea but that's how it looked to me.

Sunshine was a bit shy today, but finally made an appearance. Seals were lounging at the base of the day marker in the channel, also nice to see some Loons... still in winter plumage.

Seems we are also photogenic... an enthusiastic lady asked if she could take my picture dry suit et al.

Made for a fun end of the day.

Hey Spider you old dog, next time you're in the area for a paddle and would like company, give me a ring. I'm 15 min. from Pavillion and could probably get free most any day. I'm going to be out of commission for a few weeks starting this Thurs., but the doc says the new hip should be good to go in three weeks, so on 3/28 I expect to be ready to roll.

Blaine

..and I thought you were soaking up the sun, seaside in some tropical location.

Best of luck, with the new hip...getting the new turbo charged "paddlers special" mood reflecting, wifi friendly, edition I hope.

Three weeks, quite amazing, may you have the most charming of physical therapists :->

I'll be heading to the Sound pretty frequently esp this spring, it's one of my favorite places as you can access so much from there, open ocean or the maze of back channels and their intricacies.

I'll look forward to catching up with you as soon as you get the okay.

Bonne chance !

Tides have been running high since the storm.

Yesterday (Sunday) opted not to launch from Pavilion Ipswich. Looking over to Sandy Point I counted about 5 different bands of current, some looking pretty pushy that I didn't want to deal with. Off to the right the roar of the breakers which were as far as the eye could see.

Opted instead to drive over to Newburyport and head onto Plum Island and over to the refuge. The refuge was closed from Hell's Gate to Sandy point but you could hike it. Hiking a shore line section at high tide the ROAR was deafening...awesome!

Today launched from Plum Island refuge with sunny skies . One of the highest tides of the month. The "backside" of the refuge and the sound... every thing was submersed so you could paddle over most of the marsh, and needed to remind myself there are all sorts of confusing dead ends and side channels when the water subsides.

Used the GPS to seek out the different invisible currents to get the most glide for the effort. Sometimes I may think things are really cruising along, then realize there may be all sorts of motion in the water, but I'm actually going slower.

Kind of a trick of the eyes I suppose.

Lot's of Canada Geese, must be their time of year..other assorted ducks seem to be on the increase.

Spring is surely in the air.......