A Different Kind of Journey...

(Note to web master. I purposely thought this might belong in the Trip Report section. If my belief is incorrect, please feel free to move it to another section.)

Over the last year I began to realize I was not alone in the need to begin a journey of a different kind to repair the wear and tear living a full life had done to my body. Many of us may begin our own medical journey this year and perhaps, like me, you worry about whether or not it is the right thing to do and will the results negatively affect your love of kayaking.

Last year I began my journey to repair a worn out back with a spinal fusion and twelve months of growing a new back. But now the recovery is complete. The reason I share this information is to also share two observations.

I believe, we as sea kayakers, are uniquely well qualified to navigate a medical journey. In sea kayaking we learn to access our risks, plan our journey and rely on others. We embrace the motto, “The key to success is the discipline to press on”. I suspect many of us who begin a medical journey will see the similarities. Seeing the similarities will give you the “strength of the familiar”.

The second observation happened more gradually but was more dramatic in its effect on me. Although every journey is different, you may have a renewed view of how valuable it is to paddle with buddies who care and protect each other. You may also view risk differently. Now it is all about protecting the group while at the same time realizing you do not need to limit your experiences if you develop a keen sense for trip planning and execution.

One of the NSPN traditions which I have come to admire is our “pay forward” efforts. Since my paddling skills are not yet worthy of paying forward, I thought my medical journey observations may have value to some of us.

Warren

Thanks for sharing an important subject many of will face as time takes it toll on us all. I too need serious back surgery as well as hip replacement but for other reasons have decided to treat myself with swimming and stretching. There are limits however-I can't carry loaded boats or help others with same. I'm glad however that it worked for you.

Gene,

I know what you mean about the challenge of carrying a loaded boat. On many camping trips this past season, the group would insist on a 4 person boat carry whether the boat was loaded or not. In many ways it is a fun activity that builds teamwork. Besides, if only two paddlers are carrying a boat and one slips, you run the risk of injuring the boat!

They say that "necessity is the mother of invention" so I would guess our community has many fine ideas for group actions that build teamwork and protect our boats, oops, I mean protect our bodies from injury.

Warren

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So as to not hijack another thread where the topic was brought up, I thought I would continue on this one and wish Blaine a speedy recovery from his hip surgery this coming Thursday. We will be thinking of you.

Blaine, I as well wish you a speedy recovery. You picked an excellent time to begin your journey so you are ready to get back to kayaking as the weather improves!

Perhap my additional comment is aimed more to the gentle reader who is not yet ready to begin their journey.

Recent advances in the field of hip replacements have been significant. Although the orthopedic surgeon will remove the source of pain, it is the physical therapist who really helps us complete the journey. Their insights guide us to full range of motion and a return to our beloved sea kayaking. As Spider mentions in another thread, may you encounter a very knowledgable therapist!

Warren