boat customization workshop

Katherine

Hello all.

Thanks to all those who took the time to complete the survey.

A Boat Customization workshop generated lots of interest.

Does anyone have direct access or a connection with direct access to a space large enough for such a workshop?

It would need to be a multi-day event and the boats would need to remain in the space.

Anybody??

Unfortunately, I seriously doubt that the folks who manage the Gould Barn (Topsfield Historical Society) would allow us to use the barn for anything that involved glues, volatile sprays and other gooey or flammable stuff no matter how many drop cloths we promised to lay down. It's a historic building and they are, justifiably, very protective -- to the extent that our beautiful holiday party lumenaria lining the walk *outside* the building had to be extinguished as soon as the caretaker spotted them.

A few years ago, Joel at New England Small Craft let NSPN use part of his space for a boat fitting workshop.

While Joel has moved a block down the street and is still in business, it might be worth contacting him to see if he has space or would know of space available in the building.

And I do believe he has heat.

Deb M

Great idea, Deb!

We might consider offering a modest donation for the use of his space. Years ago NSPNers were among his best customers but that has changed I believe, probably because of his decision to stop carrying high-end kayaks, although he continues to stock kayaking gear. Asking Joel to clear a space for us and then put up with the inconvenience of our workshop may be asking a lot since I doubt he's making any money on us these days. A modest rental fee might make it worth his while.

Blaine

There's what appears to be an out of business car dealership on Rt. 1A as you enter Ipswich on the right (assuming that you're traveling eastward from Hamilton.)

I was surprised to see some kind of swap meet being held there a month or two ago. Perhaps it's a rentable space. I'm pretty sure it has garage bays though I have no idea what kind of shape the interior is in.

Blaine, can you check with Joel??

Sure. I'll check and see if NESC is a possibility. Do we know yet what day of the week it would be, and do we have an approximate date in mind?

I drove over to NESC today and talked to Joel. He seemed mildly amenable to having us there and even offered that the fumes shouldn't be a problem due to the very high ceiling, but for right now -- and for the past six months -- he's still organizing from the move and most of his floor space is filled with racks of boats. Some of these are on wheels and can be moved but others not. As it is right now, there would not be room for us. He asked how many boats we expected to have and I guessed six to ten. He asked when we're planning to hold the workshop and I told him maybe sometime in Feb. or March. Then his phone rang and I had to leave anyway so that's where we left it. If we haven't come up with something else in a couple weeks I can check back with him, although I'd be surprised to see much change as it looked about the same to me as it had last summer.

In the meantime, I think we need to explore other options.

Blaine

I put a call into the realtor for that out of business car dealership on 1A on Saturday. Haven't heard back yet. I'll call again tomorrow if I don't hear by then.

I'd consider it a long shot at this point. I'll update when I know more.

I spoke with the realtor today and that particular space is unlikely. He did say that he would inquire about a few other spaces that might be more suitable and get back to in a day or two. Hopefully he'll call back but I'm not holding my breath - I could almost hear the expression on his face when I answered his question about price range. I said it was short money, 10-20 kayaks at ~$20 apiece, probably $200-$300ish.