Any classroom workshops this winter?

Shari G

At the last camping workshop, after discussing the low level of attendence, we discussed holding the workshop over the winter instead of during the paddling season when people would rather be on the water. There has been some conern regarding winter schedule conflicts (people doing all the stuff they were supposed to be doing when they were paddling during the summer) and we didn't get much farther from there. These workshops are also dependant upon those who are offering them, and they can also be tied up in their own off-season activities since they are so busy during the season.

I know that alot of different aspects are covered in the CAM sessions each year, but I wonder if there is a benefit to splitting off some topics in order to concentrate on them. I too am interested in some winter learnin' and would like to add that, if anyone is willing to put on an advanced camping/expedition workshop to discuss topics like logistics (leave-no-trace comes to mind), I would be very interested.

Also, if no one else is available, I would be willing to put on an Intro To Kayak Camping clinic (I am no expert, but can definitely go over the basics).

Hi Shari,

We will be planning workshops over the next 3 Board meetings as we have in previous years.

Workshops typically occur between February through May. Up until now, among other topics, the Board has been planning the Christmas Party, Pool Sessions and website issues. Members are encouraged to weigh in as to topics or subject matter they are interested in covering. Many possible topics we're discussed recently at the annual Members meeting. Those who attended had some good suggestions for the future.

Our next Board meeting is tomorrow night (Tuesday).

Doug

Shari,

Yes, there will be workshops this winter, of the sort that you had mentioned. The winter months; January-March are a traditional time for indoor, classroom-style workshops: as Doug says, we have a menu of workshops we'll be getting on the calendar within the next month.

Bearded Recluse: camping workshops, which always include a leave no-trace module, have been planned. Sit tight. you'll be happy.

• 4 weeks later...