Townsend Gut?

cfolster

We're planning our December camping trip to a MITA Island in the Sheepscot River and are considering a conservative day trip in the area.

Looking for any info on Townsend Gut west of Boothbay harbor at the Northeast edge of Southport Island.

It looks quite narrow near juniper point and a little twisty on the map and just wanted to know what the currents are like at ebb and flow.

I've seen a number of folks mention it in trip reports without remark, so I'm hoping it is not remarkable . . .

Thanks!

Cathy:

I suggest getting the book "Kayaking the Maine Coast" by Dorcas Miller as it has a wealth of info on such topics and is helpful for trip planning. My limited personal knowledge is that the tide can run pretty strong mid-channel in the narrow parts. Less so or with helpful eddies along shore. Miller says current can hit 5 knots which is moving right along.

Ed Lawson

Cathy:

I suggest getting the book "Kayaking the Maine Coast" by Dorcas Miller as it has a wealth of info on such topics and is helpful for trip planning. My limited personal knowledge is that the tide can run pretty strong mid-channel in the narrow parts. Less so or with helpful eddies along shore. Miller says current can hit 5 knots which is moving right along.

Ed Lawson

Thanks - just added the book to my Christmas wish list!

Like many areas of coastal Maine, heed the tide tables. My last trip through here was timed such that it (?obviously) favored a southern course on the ebb and a northern course on the flood (paddling "downhilll"-Ed Lawson). I believe the 5 knot claim.

Cathy,

We stay on Townsend Gut at the Ocean gate resort every year in June. The Gut is relatively wide at the west end and narrows entering Boothbay. The current is not strong at all in either direction. It's a very easy paddle. No way does it get to 5 knots. Even the most inexperienced rec paddlers on our trips have no problem in the Gut.

If you want to have a really fun time, paddle across the Sheepscott to Goose Rock Passage during the max ebb. Fantastic currents, tide rips, eddy lines and lots of curious seals to play with near the rocks.

We hit that area this summer, but not at max. I planned to cross close to slack but we hit about an hour after flood started. WOW it gets crazy in there, even when not at max!

Cathy's comments square with my experience . I went through the Gut twice and couldn't remember much current at all: its a very civilized little bit of water. But I don't remember now what the tides were when I was there; presumably we would have hit something as we paddled out and in on the same day.

I've been through Goose Rocks a number of times , and its an active place. Good place for eddy-hopping!

Since it is next to Boothbay, it would inherently be a very civilized place. <g> And so it is. Curiously, Miller talks about the current in Goose Neck Passage as in the 2-3 Kt range. I don't think anyone would say Townsend is remotely as "interesting" or "active" at max ebb. I don't recall thinking about it much except somewhere in narrow part and then just that it was running pretty good and I would not want to paddle against it. Which of course might say as much about my paddling as the current.

Ed Lawson

Cathy - thanks for the info on Townsend. I'm going to look up that resort too!

If you want to have a really fun time, paddle across the Sheepscott to Goose Rock Passage during the max ebb. Fantastic currents, tide rips, eddy lines and lots of curious seals to play with near the rocks.

We hit that area this summer, but not at max. I planned to cross close to slack but we hit about an hour after flood started. WOW it gets crazy in there, even when not at max!

Yes, I took one look at the water at Goose Rock Passage not a max, and hid myself in an eddy. It took Robert 20 minutes to coax me out and hop me through there, after which I found out it was nothing at all! I should go back at max ebb . . . maybe.

Yes, I took one look at the water at Goose Rock Passage not a max, and hid myself in an eddy. It took Robert 20 minutes to coax me out and hop me through there, after which I found out it was nothing at all! I should go back at max ebb . . . maybe.

Do I hear the beginnings of a trip next year??