NH put ins?

ToddG

I am moving to Exeter and am in need of some suggestions for paddling in the area. I read one review on a spot on Great Bay and was wondering if anyone has some favorite spots? Great Bay? Ocean/beach? Somewhere else? I'd like some separation from heavy boat traffic. Perhaps some island camping in between??

Since it's gonna be a bit chilly when we get there, I suppose I'll stick to the protected waterways till it warms up. But it's always good to line up some spots ahead of time. One thing that I am most curious about is low tide. 8 ft tidal differences in some areas means good timing is imperative. And maybe some races for some surfing?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

ToddG

Todd, I tried sending you a personal message but was not allowed to because you are not a member. You should join our organization. In fact try to make it to the Christmas Party coming up in a couple weeks and meet a few local paddlers. We are all quite willing to share local knowledge.

This may help: http://www.paddling.net/launches/

Doug

Great, thanks! I'll be sure to join up soon for sure. As far as the holiday party goes, unfortunately I'll be in a giant moving truck driving northward from New Orleans while ya'll are enjoying some holiday festivities. We arrive on the 9th.

That link on paddling.net is great! Thanks for sharing. I haven't seen that on the site before. I usually just sell/buy my boats there :)

I'll be hitting the water as soon as possible once we get settled in. I'll keep my eyes open for any trips planned here, otherwise I'll just start picking spots....

Thanks again

tg

I'll be hitting the water as soon as possible once we get settled in. I'll keep my eyes open for any trips planned here, otherwise I'll just start picking spots....

Have you paddled in cold water before? We are planning a New Year's Day paddle. Even if you can't commit to a paddle, maybe you want to come out and meet a couple of people and see how we opperate.

I have, indeed. I'll be dusting off the cold weather gear as life in the south has not afforded me many chances to wear a dry top. I got my paddling start in NY as a WW paddler. The transition to sea kayaking was brought about by my love for surfing and camping. I would strap my WW boat or surf boat to the back deck of a sea kayak and paddle out to the barrier islands along the Outer Banks in NC with my (now) wife. We would camp and while she worked on homework, I surfed.

I'm currently working on getting a dry suit. But for the immediate future I'll be using a dry top and just layering. Here's to hoping for a Kokatat Christmas :)

I have signed on to the NYD paddling trip. Thanks for the invite. I'm hoping for a clear work schedule and good weather.

Todd, if Santa doesn't bring you a drysuit, you might ask if any NSPN'ers have one you could borrow for the NYD paddling trip. Charles River Canoe and Kayak in Newton also rents them. Although they are officially closed for the season, CRCK also operates a ski track in Weston so might be able to arrange the rental though you'd need to check with them.

If you're a former white water paddler you're no doubt used to cold water and may have a reliable roll. But you're likely to find friendly folks here who might be willing to offer a loaner. The water temps certainly warrant the safety benefits of a dry suit in January...

Ah! Many thanks on the rental suggestion. I will definitely try to work something out for renting a dry suit once we get settled.

While I prefer to keep the shiny side of my kayak up, I enjoy a good refreshing roll every now and then, though I try to avoid it below water temps of 50 or so :/ Safety first, I know. But it's better not to take a dip in the drink to begin with...

tg

Looking along the Squamscott River, it appears that perhaps Chapman's Landing (Rte 108 bridge?) is a preferred launch point. Anyone have any experience/input/suggestions on that? The Newmarket Town landing looks promising too. The tidal influences on these rivers make me wonder how much paddling is appropriate with a long boat/sea kayak versus something more maneuverable. If straight shots are ok, then the Epic will be fun. The Quest is quick too and more maneuverable too, but it's no Romany or my old Meridian (RIP).

The Adam's Point landing (boat ramp) seems to be more situated in an open water area on Great Bay and therefore has less of a current (?). Any input on that is welcome as well.

Has anyone put in at the Odiorne State Park ramp? Is that going to be a 'boaty' spot, or would this be a good spot to tour around? Hampton Harbor as well, perhaps? Both look like they may be serious mud flats at low tide. Eh?

I'm not up for a wide-open exposed paddling trip right off the bat - especially solo. I am most interested in getting acquainted with the waters in the area as these will be the largest tidal differences I have experienced. NC tides usually range 1-1.5 m (max 2 m). The swells were fun, but the water was warm (except for that *one time*). The tides here in LA are smaller than the waves in Lake Ontario - kinda wimpy really. I'd like to ease into the NE tide stuff.

Thanks one and all, again in advance, for any input/sharing of advice/heckling.

tg

Todd,

Here's what I know:

The Piscataqua river feeds Great Bay and has one of the fastest currents in North America. There are areas like around Fox point that it reaches 4 knots or more. If you put in at Adams's Point, there can still be current there because the point narrows the opening. Stay south of the point in the open water. If you go North and up around into the Piscataqua, expect very fast moving (fastest on Ebb) of 4 knots or more gradually decreasing to the mid 2 knots by the time you exit into the ocean. Lots of tricky spots and major shipping channel . . .

Odiorne is a nice put-in, but you're right, it's a mudflat at low tide. There's a small lot on the south side for a few cars - be sure your car is well up by the road, or it will be under water when you return at high tide. The formal parking lot across the street is much larger and not subject to flooding. Great access to Portsmouth Inner Harbor which is very nice to explore, gives you access to go out and peak at the ocean between the jetties at Odiorne Point and Fort Stark to see if conditions are good. Also good access to sample the lower portion of the Piscataqua and/or circumnagivate New Castle Island.

Hampton Harbor is a nice put in with a great parking lot. As you can see from a chart there's a HUGE tidal marsh area to the west of the bridge between Hampton and SEabrook. Due to the size of that marsh and the small opening under that bridge, the current there and out to the ocean is significant and you can get lots of chop and big standing waves. Best to time it to go out and in with the current. Be careful exploring the marsh area, being aware of the tides, or you'll be sitting in mud and it's very easy to get lost in the twists and turns out there. When the warm weather comes, theres a Wednesday night surf session at Hampton Harbor (kayak surfing).

Please do look into a dry suit rental until you get one. We're already at the point up here where water temps require that cold shock protection.

Happy paddling!

Great info and advice. Many thanks. I appreciate it as local knowledge trumps all. Odiorne sounds like a neat place to check out. All places will be scouted first at different tide levels from land for sure.

I have a healthy appreciation for safety, cold weather/water, and bright orange dry suits. This winter will likely be spent mostly snowshoeing and skiing (maybe I'll try out the dry suit on my cross country skis...). Besides, my wife doesn't give me as much leeway in pushing limits as the earlier years, which means dry suit paddling as I likely won't be able to load the boat up without one in hand. I'm working it right now, trust me:) The big question is: hood or no?

Thanks again. I really do appreciate the help, advice, and knowledge of the areas. I am much looking forward to meeting folks within NSPN and getting involved.

tg

Yes, yes. The ever present question with the ever consistent reviews: 50:50. Really, with the ability to roll the hood up and turn it into a 'collar', there really isn't a reason not to get one.

Is that sleigh bells I hear?!

There is another nice put-in almost downtown Porstmouth, across from Strawberry Fields: no parking fees in winter (same as at Odiorne State Park, which is, by the way, a favourite NSPN put-in). Also, depending on the tides, there is a put-in where Great Bay runs into the river -- the put-in is just <above> the confluence, but you will be exposed to current under the road bridge.

If you are really wanting to get to know local areas, put-ins, etc., then I would have thought it prudent to wait until spring when there will be group paddles out of spots like these; but then I am cautious, these days, even if I do consider myself moderately capable. There were days when I was always out in mid-winter; but I am certainly not one for paddling <solo> in winter!

Welcome to the area.

Thanks!

I am most interested in group paddling as the area is new, the waters are serious, and temps are well below my 10 year average. I always keep the options open as well all know that there are days when conditions are ideal.

This is my first foray back into a paddling community, of sorts, in many years. Life in New Orleans wasn't really conducive to kayaking, contrary to what one might think given the proximity to water. As such, I would like to draw on the knowledge of others as well as meet some folks in the area. Paddling in NC was grand. Places to go galore. Barrier islands, surfing, and a handful of paddling folks willing to explore. That is lacking here in NOLA, and my time on the water has paid the price. Now, I'm suffering from withdrawl. While I'm eager to get on the water, the reality of the season will hit more squarely on the chin once we get up to NH. I am looking forward to the NYD paddle as I should have a dry suit by then. In the mean time, a lot of my time will be spent scouting from land. And skiing - I've got a lot of ski time to make up for since the move south in 2003.

The days of breaking ice off the deck/paddle shaft/PFD are well in the past. And I don't want to lose another kayak to any crazy 'sledding events'. My threshold for pain has been offset by fatherhood, for sure.

I'm just excited about moving to a place where paddling is common and people exist that do it regularly.

See ya'll soon.

tg