OT: Thousands of Natural Gas Leaks Found in Boston

jason

I have a related kayaking story. About ten years ago I was paddling under a bridge over the Charles and noticed a strong gas smell. I called to report it and was told that they don't respond to reports of outdoor gas leaks. They said if I started to smell it indoors to call them back. I practically begged them to check it out anyway figuring that if the gas was concentrated enough to smell outside in the wind there must be a lot of it. They told me that no matter what they would not investigate unless someone reported smelling it indoors.

a very distantly (or not) related story: A Maine kayaking guide book advises kayakers paddling in or near the harbor of Belfast, Maine (Penobscot Bay) to be prepared for the unsettling experience of upwellings of gas, in circles maybe 50 feet in diameter. Its likely that the harbor received deposits of paper pulp or similar previous-generation industrial wastes. At random intervals, gas is released from these stewing deposits and wells to the surface. No harm is done to kayakers other than the alarm of suddenly finding oneself in the midst of an immense oceanic burp.