kayaking in san diego

I am heading to San Diego in a few days and plan to do some kayaking while i am there. Has anybody had any good/bad experiences in that area? I need to rent a boat while I'm there. I was looking at a company called Aqua Adventures.

Matt

Matt,

Talk to Alex Landrum at New England Small Crafts. She was just there at the end of March and rented a couple of boats from Jen Kleck at Aqua Adventures. If Jen is running any classes while you are there, be sure to sign up. She is a great instructor and I hear phenomenal in the surf. Jen is the 2nd woman to get her BCU 5* award in Wales.

Suzanne

Jen's the second American woman to get her 5*, not the second woman ever. Trys and Fiona both are 5 star and am sure there are other European women too. Trys is not only a personal 5 star, Trys was the 1st female level 5 Sea Coach!

Yup, Aqua Adventures is the place to rent on Mission Bay. Ed Gillett (the guy who paddled to Hawaii) has another rental shop nearby, but they don't rent fiberglass boats like Greg and Jen do. I get there about once a year, and always have a fabulous time paddling out of Mission Bay and north to La Jolla. Greg Knight is as pleasant as Jen Kleck--I had a great lesson from him 10 years ago--he taught me how to brace for the first time!

Sanjay

Ed Gillet has retired from the biz and teaches math either at the junior or senior high level. He still paddles off LaJolla shores. Aqua Adventures is your best bet for rentals. They have Thursday Evening social paddles generally very slow.

LaJolla is a real cool place to paddle. Lots of Dolphins and pinnapeds. Gray Whales are 1-4 miles off shore in January.

If you venture into SD Bay stay clear of the submarines and aircraft carriers. Naval security will be on you very fast. You can paddle to the aircraft carrier along the Embarcadero as it is no longer active and is a museum. The coast from LaJolla to SD Bay is pretty interseting. The mouth of the San Diego River has some good surf. LaJolla has great surf but is dominated by boardies.