wing paddle and surf ski

Lbeale

Does anyone know how I can rent or borrow a surf ski (for my size) and a wing paddle??? I would like to try the paddle and boat out before I leave--I have been told that a wing paddle is best for a surf ski--or can I use my epic touring paddle??? les

I have a MakoXT which has adjustable footbraces that should fit. You are welcome to borrow it and try it if you want. I also have a Mako Millenium sized for a 30" inseam that you could pad down if it isn't a big difference. The Mill is a lot tippier though.

I will be away this week until next Sunday, but feel free to borrow it anytime after that.

John

Guest guest

http://www.oceanpaddlesports.com/news/2004-10-hawaii.html

Oahu Surfski Rentals

$120 Week

$20 each additional day

$100 minimum.

Mako Millenniums

Mako XTs

Mark 1s

email Ocean Paddlesports for reservations and further ski details (size and ski you require)

Ocean Paddlesports LLC

2177 Rural Lane

Costa Mesa, California

Phone: (949) 642-0755

Fax: (949) 548-4158

Email:

info@oceanpaddlesports.com

Mark Sandvold (Hawaii)

(surf skis/paddles and accessories)

Phone: 808-285-1606

Email: Msandman@Hawaii.rr.com

By the way..although every surfski paddler uses a wing, you can always use your traditional paddle. Even a stable surfski like the XT is not very stable (as sea kayaks) in over 2 foot seas and the combination of the boat and a weird new paddle type may be too much. Surfskis are not just another sit on top..their function is to be paddled fast enough to catch long assisted rides on lower angled ocean swell that just moves past even the fastest sea kayak.

Hawaii is one of the epicenters of ocean paddling as is S.Africa and Australia...it would be a shame to miss the opportunity.

http://www.canoecamphawaii.com/

http://www.oceanpaddlesports.com/photos/mi...-dean-small.jpg

Thank you Ken and John for your help. John, I will take you up on your kind offer on letting me try your surfski when you get back. And Ken, I agree with you about Hawaii being the epicenter for sea kayaking so I want to do as much research on Hawaii paddling resources before I go so I am not wasting time figuring out logistic once there.

I will follow up on Ken's websites that look so enticing. If I seem somewhat frantic on this message board it's because the Hawaiian options are so varied and, conditions so different than what I have paddled. It feels somewhat daunting and, I'm not going have my traveling paddling homegirls, Deb and Karen, to help me if I get in a tough spot. So, I will stick with my touring Epic paddling when on surfski, at least in the beginning until I am familiar with the boat--bring my helmet and wear it--and try to hook up with a surfski coach so I don't drown--thx again for your insight and advice, Les

Guest guest

Les,

I've no experience with Hawaii, but someday I hope. I'm sure there are less exposed areas to paddle with smaller conditions in Hawaii. Only in NE will you see a surfski paddler with a PFD because of cold water, and the law. You will never see a helmet, because, unlike a kayak, you just fall off, your head may not even go under. The trick is then to get back on.

I was out on my XT today off Misery Island with another paddler and I'd say the conditions were as big as Hawaii, 10 feet every 11 seconds, and windy, it was very exciting, I was worried.

There is a group of surfskiers who paddle 3 or 4 evenings a week in Salem Sound from the Jubilee Yatch Club, Beverly. If you are there at quitting time, around 7pm to 8pm Tuesday or Thursday you can take a spin on a variety boats.

The indigenous craft in Hawaii are the outrigger canoes, 6 place to singles. Next Sunday is the big time Molokai Race between Molokai and Oahu, this is the race your Epic Paddle maker Chalupsky is 10 times winner of, but this year he's not doing it, he'll be at CRCK, so you might go there and ask him all about paddling a surfski and take one of the classes they are offering and demo a new Epic surfski.

are you sure about chalupsky, koop? on CRCK's announcement of his classes, they referred to him competing in hawaii and then coming straight here to teach on wednesday and thursday...

i think he's trying for yet another win!

yebo! bamba zonkhe, amazulu!

Guest guest

I didn't see anything about Mr.O.C. racing this year so presumed he wasn't. I looked at a list of entries and he is on it. Think of the air fare and all for kayaking ?? !!