Vinalhaven

gyork

Looking for some information re: journeying in that area, specifically

-which of the MITA (BP&L) islands do you prefer and why?

-Is the tiny bridge connecting Calderwood Neck (island?) navigable at high tide, or is

a portage expected?

Assumption is that these discussions can be public, otherwise PM me please.

gary

Hi Gary,

Last year a group of us were staying in Stonnington to do the Isle of Haut circumnavigation. While there we discovered an island with a beautiful cabin you can rent from a Maine non-profit (cannot tell you the name on this post). Anyway, the thought that was kicked around by this group of crazies was to launch from the far south side of Stonnington's coast to do Vinal Haven and once out there camp or come back - the distance round trip not being that daunting round after circumnavigating Isle of Haut.

We obviously did not go beyond the chatter into actually planning for this trip but a few of us talked about doing it next summer.

Les, send me a PM please. Might you consider renting on Vinal/Northhaven, or too expensive (simple cottage ~$1000/week, split x ways; car round-trip $50 [including kayaks?], $17.50/passenger)? Agree distance is not daunting, though the open crossing might be in "conditions". My preferred safari route would be to island-hop from Cape Rosier, rather than slog from Rockland/Owl's Head.

I have paddled to the ledges beyond Eagle Island in Penobscot Bay from Little Deer Island several times as a day trip.... given the right conditions and following the islands down with the tide makes this the easiest passage to the vinal haven/ north haven archipelago. I haven't extended beyond to NH/VH, but it is on my list and would like to be included in the chatter for planning.

Gary ,

The little passage through Calderwood neck is navigable right at high tide, or so I was told by folks with local knowledge. We went around Calderwood Neck instead , which was perfectly fine. However If you don't make it through the neck, dont miss the long channels on the other side: Winter Harbor and Seal Bay . You could easily make a day of exploring this area. post-100369-0-26084400-1351722907_thumb.post-100369-0-66729600-1351723692_thumb.

The island-that-shall-not-be-named near the mouth of Winter Harbor is a good staging area for exploration of the east side of the island. The campsites and island itself are just okay, but in a beautiful location with fine views from the campsites. post-100369-0-27583000-1351723040_thumb. post-100369-0-50588500-1351723137_thumb.

We had a nice full moon paddle while on Vinalhaven The little lights on the water in this picture here are kayaks at the outer reaches of Winter Harbor . post-100369-0-29197700-1351723336_thumb.

The Island- that shall- not -be -named in Hurricane Sound on the West side of the island is very nice, with fine campsites. post-100369-0-30698500-1351723787_thumb. Between these two islands I would choose this one but planning a circumnavigation of Vinalhaven that utilized both islands is very good.

Peter

i think a trip would want to be a minimum of four days : Day one; the long paddle out there , Day two; one half of the island, Day 3; the other half, Day four; the long paddle back. From there, the trip could be extended by as many days as one might care to explore.

i think a trip would want to be a minimum of four days : Day one; the long paddle out there , Day two; one half of the island, Day 3; the other half, Day four; the long paddle back. From there, the trip could be extended by as many days as one might care to explore.

My thoughts exactly.

One more question or two. I have been told that Pulpit Harbor on North haven is a must see, but overall my impression is the coast around Vinalhaven and perhaps the village is better suited for kayakers than North Haven. So circumnavigation around just Vinalhaven better use of time than trying to go around both and traverse Fox Island Thorofare which means doing an 8 so to speak?

Ed Lawson

I think exploring both Vinalhaven and North Haven , including the Thoroughfare (the figure 8 , whatever) would take at least one more day than exploring/cirumnavigating just Vinalhaven. One could perhaps do a grand circumnav. of both islands, while skipping the Thoroughfare, in 4 days.

We did not circumnav. North Haven , just Vinalhaven, so I cant speak to North Haven. But Vinalhaven alone is certainly a fine trip.

I think exploring both Vinalhaven and North Haven .......

If I am out there and not likely to do the trip again, yes would circumnav both, each trip being 22 to 26 statute miles (no gunkholing), depending on where your base camp is. Ambitious but certainly doable, dependant on an early am start, with plans/allowances for tidal behavior.

Ed:

Pulpit Harbor is indeed interesting: a narrow opening (with an osprey/eagle on the namesake rock at the mouth of the harbor), with working harbor and a few houses, plus some deep tidal arms going inland. I wouldn't call it visually spectacular, just interesting. The north shore of North Haven is vintage Maine island coast but can be a long slog if you're just doing the circumnavitation. If you have to choose, I'd say Fox Island Thoroughfare and the Vinalhaven coast offer a more interesting and varied paddle.

Scott