Frisbee wharf to Wallis Sands

Gcosloy

Left the wharf on the ebb around 11:30AM and paddled crossing the Piscataqua Harbor over to the CG station on New Castle. Paddling south and enjoying rock play at half tide along the way passed Little Harbor at Odiorne Point and played with more rocks all the way to Wallis Sands. While the seas were mild and even the surf at Wallis was anemic the lower tide and rocks provided plenty of excitement for this paddler. A south western breeze helped average 3.5 miles/hour over 12 + miles even with the rock play. Returned to Kittery just as the tide reversed. A perfect solo day.

Hi Gene,

Wish I was there; it was a good day for you. I would have enjoyed the environment and your company is always good!

I took a fitness paddle up the New Meadow River, in Mid Coast Maine yesterday. I beat it up in a beeline to Cundy's Harbor on Sebascodagen I. (aka Great I (sp?} from my place on Carrying Place Cove, near West Point, Phippsuburg and had lunch at Holbrooks Wharf. It was closed for the season but they let me have access to their deck and I eat while enjoying the view looking east across the river toward Phippsuburg and Bear Island. That was about a 2.5 kt paddle. When a tail wind I was averaging about 5 kt. and it was close to low slack tide. I then went up toward the N and explored the waters between Great I and Sheep I paddling almost to the south end of Long I. All this is on the west side of the New Meadow R. I then paddled across the river almost to the strait in to the Basin. I paddled back to my place at an at exercise pace along the east bank of the river against the incoming tide and a 10 to 15 kt breeze. I was only able to average about 4 kts but I enjoyed the challenge. This leg took me about an hour. The water was pretty flat but I like that that for a fitness solo paddle. The paddle was about 9.75 kts overall I left about 1:30 PM and I was back before Diane and I had to head up to East Bath and Topsham for some serious shopping at 5 Pm

The day before that, last Tues, I was surfing Popham Beach from the State Park. I was concerned about going solo in the 3ft plus waves that day but to my delight John Camody drove down from his place in Boothbay Harbor and went in at the same time I did in one of his short boats. We didn't say much to each other on the water but I felt more secure with him around of course. I have a feeling that some of the waves were bigger than 3 ft or I was just not on some of them in a good position because a few times my bow buried itself into the water about 1 foot deep and I quickly broached. I had some good rides overall and did some awesome side surfing too. I rolled a few more times than usual but never came out of the boat. I was a good day on the water overrall!!

Life is good my friend.

Sid