Level 2+ to 3 paddle off Pavilion 9/16

nancysan

CAM L2+-L3 paddle, hosted by Nancy Priest. Parking for non-motor boaters is on left side of beach. Be respectful of local beach-goers. Possible (probable, weather permitting) circumnavigation of Crane Beach going up Fox Creek and around the back side to open ocean along the beach. High tide is 11:51, 9.73 ft. Trip is approx. 9-10 miles. Meet at beach at 10:00 am, beach briefing 10:20. If conditions are not favorable for this trip, we can revise plan based on wind and weather.

This put-in has been my passion for small jouneys for the past 8 years and I'd like to have a morning to leisurely go around the back side of Crane's into Fox Creek and complete the circumnavigation if conditions are mild. Hopefully boat traffic will be much less than high season and we can stop for lunch at the dunes on the back side of Crane's in Essex Bay. If wind and/or rain interfere, trip can be modified to exploring the Ipswich Bay or Plum Island Sound. This is a separate trip from the Ladie's Paddle also posted. I am looking for a small group so let me know if you are interested. Still will be monitoring weather to see which weekend day is best, but Sunday works best with my schedule.

Bob and I would like to join you for this trip if there is still room for two more. We have done this circumnavigation before, starting from Pavillion Beach, but it was quite a while ago. We have done the Fox Creek to the back of Crane's part of it more recently.

Elizabeth

Happy with the response this trip is getting. Weather looks good, though wind prediction changed from E to WNW and has increased a little. Still too early to know, obviously. I wanted to keep this a somewhat small group. We have about 10/11 (several who haven't posted on this board, too) if everyone shows. Please let us know if your plans change, as I may cap this for now. If we do the circumnavigation, we will have at least several pods for the paddle across the front of Cranes. If the wind is from the west, we have to make an effort to stay close to shore. Don't forget to bring a lunch.

Looking forward.

Hi Nancy,

I'm a maybe if I don't have to work. Al and I dug into the same environs a couple of weeks ago at high tide, and it was a beauty.

If we're larger than 8 I'd suggest two pods....

Ern

Based on predicted sea conditions (2 ft to potentionally 5 ft waves, though I see this as unlikely) and length of circumnavigation, I am wondering if I should change the paddle to level 3 now. I don't mind two pods as long as we have a front and a rear to keep the group together. I don't like to put a limit on things, but I would like the people coming on this trip to feel comfortable that they have the skills to complete the length in what looks like good conditions with some mild wave action.

Of course nobody can predict what the day will actually bring weather-wise in advance. It just seems there is a good group of people who would like to do the circumnavigation, so that is our goal now.

And to add clarity, this was originally posted to not be a high level trip, so I will be monitering conditions and give a report Sat night of what it is looking like. There are enough people looking to do the circumnavigation to keep it as our goal as long as wind or seas don't get challenging.

Hi Everyone. Checking NOAA for tomorrow they are predicting wave heights of 2 to 4ft in the area along Crane Beach, which has me concerned with a group this size, since this paddle was originally posted as a 2+ to 3. Yesterday I did the paddle from Pavilion to back side of Crane's and back. I started an hour past high tide. Conditions were beautiful with a following sea on the way back, S winds of around 7-10 mph. I had a tough time getting through the ebb at the mouth of Ipswich River, even though the wind was at my back. Gusts tomorrow are predicted for 11mph with sustained winds of 8 WNW. If we go through the creek at start I am concerned people will not have the strength to finish at the mouth if the tide is rushing out. I know a lot of people signed up for this paddle to do the circumnavigation, but I don't want to be in a situation where some may need a tow, etc.

I would like to suggest going through Fox Creek, stopping on the western backside of Crane beach for lunch, then back through the creek as an alternate plan. I think with the the size of the current group we should be in two pods, too.

Thoughts?

Hi Everyone,

I will not be back on this board until tomorrow. NOAA forecast has had a clear 3 to 4 foot wave range along the shore of the open ocean area of Crane, and since this is at most a level 3 trip, I think it is safe to assume that we will modify the trip as I described earlier today.

Please be aware that when we are in Fox Creek, we need to stay to the side for safety as motor boats do still come through there at decent speeds from time to time and visibility can be short because of the meandering creek, especially when it isn't full high tide.

Temp. is predicted to be 69, with plenty of sun, so bring layers to stay comfortable. Bring plenty of water, snacks, lunch as you require for 3+/- hours. As far as I know, there are no bathrooms at Pavilion or at the backside of Crane's where I'd like to stop for lunch, but there is plenty of beach.

As with most "formal" NSPN trips, it is expected that if you start with us, you stay with us. Depending on how many, we may break in to pods. I'll be at the beach at 10am and plan on beach briefing at 10:20, launching by 10:30 sharp, as Fox Creek is best on either side of high tide and impossible if it gets too low.

Thanks and looking forward.

Nancy

Reason for trip change:

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY FOR HAZARDOUS SEAS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM

EDT SUNDAY THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING

TONIGHT

NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT. SEAS 3 TO

5 FT.

SUN

NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING W 5 TO 10 KT IN THE

AFTERNOON. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.

Nancy,

I'm all tuckered out from my trip today Saco to Woods Island. Returned a little early with 3 other paddlers and had to fight the ebb back to Cape Ellis. Also entered Biddeford Pool against the ebb which had to have been 3 knots. Have a great trip see you next time!