Fort Point to Castle Island to Harbor Islands

dwman53

Made a trip from the new Fort Point Kayak launch and headed thru the locks then to Esplanade and then back out to USS Constitution.

A nice easy way to get to the harbor ( parking $5.00 all day on weekends)

Now... want to head the other direction

Can you stop at Castle and get out to look around the fort?

Does anyone know if you can stop on Long or Spectacle Islands?

Is there a better Route, or better Islands to paddle to/by?

Doug (the other Doug)

Was down at the "new" Ft. Point dock the day after Xmas 2011on foot and have been itching to put in there since. Seems it would be a fun excursion. Someone said the North End is an easy paddle from there?! Anyone for Italian sausage?

Does anyone know if you can stop on Long or Spectacle Islands?

Spectacle definitely yes. There is a pier on the West side of the island with facilities including bathrooms and food sales.

I believe most of Long is considered private property. So don't plan to land there except in an emergency.

Here are some links you may find useful.

Note, I am one of the leaders for an AMC 18 mile paddle this weekend which is bound to visit Spectacle and Georges Islands. There is still room for a few additional participants. The difficulty level is because of distance.

You can stop at Castle but the closest landing spots to the fort are surrounded by riprap. They also charge a fee to enter the fort. Castle Island is too crowded anyway since everybody in South Boston with a fishing pole or running shoes is there.

I prefer visiting the fort on Georges Island, which is an actual island so it is more remote and interesting.