Navionics Chart Apps for iPhone

Dustin,

I do have the app loaded on my iPhone, but I do not use it as often as an app entitled "Marine Weather Plus by Bluefin Engineering." I like their "layer" approach and have been using it to locate current prediction stations to track current speed and direction in advance of a trip to Jonesport. I also use the weather forcast layer to compare with the marine forcast on Maine Harbors. Give it a shot and tell me what you think.

Warren

Thanks, Warren. I checked out the app but did not purchase it because it looked more like it's made for weather forecasts rather than charting. I'll probably still give it a try in the future. It would likely be easier than navigating to NOAA's weather page on my phone.

I like their "layer" approach and have been using it to locate current prediction stations to track current speed and direction in advance of a trip to Jonesport.

Warren:

Does it show any tidal current predictions around Jonesport other than the east and west ends of Moosabec Reach?

Ed Lawson

Ed,

The only current prediction station for the Jonesport area on the Marine Weather Plus app in one on the western side of Steele Harbor Island. Do you know of any other tools (apps or other media) which give more info on current flow and direction for the Jonesport waters?

Warren

The only current prediction station for the Jonesport area on the Marine Weather Plus app in one on the western side of Steele Harbor Island.

Warren,

Are you sure it is giving you tide current info? Or is it giving you tide height info? I believe the only NOAA tide current stations are in Moosabec Reach. NOAA does list a tide level station west of Steele Harbor island, but there are no current predictions for that location. I asked because I wondered if the app somehow was calculating current info for other locations which would be a very neat trick.

Ed Lawson

Ed,

Oops! My mistake. The current prediction stations for the Jonesport area on this app are only the two at either end of Moosabec Reach. You are correct, the station on the west side of Steele Harbor Island is the only tide prediction station for the Jonesport area on this app. I do find the app interesting and at only $2.99 via iTunes it seems like a good deal.

Warren